Page 431 of 434 FirstFirst ... 331381421429430431432433 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,310 of 4336

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

My son found a red deer antler a few years ago. Compared with the Scottish red deer, the antlers grow bigger down here with the longer summers and richer habitat. It's got 10 points on a single antler, which I think is quite rare (16 on two makes it a "monarch").

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    My son found a red deer antler a few years ago. Compared with the Scottish red deer, the antlers grow bigger down here with the longer summers and richer habitat. It's got 10 points on a single antler, which I think is quite rare (16 on two makes it a "monarch").
    Umm... I need to keep searching. In my foraging defense, I did once find a near whole whale skeleton (head missing)washed up in a cleft on the rocky point(Rubha an Dunain), south of Loch Brittle, Skye. There was a whole set of ribs, etc., looking like a scene from the Flintstones, but the ribs were too heavy to trail back to the tent so we (my partner and I) carted a couple of vertebrae, which we still have in the garden as a... erm, conversation piece. My neighbour (a marine biologist) thought they might have been from a minke whale.
    Eat more cake because life is shorter than you thi...

Two jays in the back garden squabbling over a mouse yesterday before dark. I hardly see a jay from one year to the next then two at once. Also I didn't know they could catch mice.

2 Cormorants perched on rocks around a reservoir this morning.

Also spied an interesting looking bird at the end of a jetty, so engaged a birdwatcher in discussion and asked him what it was.... turned out to be a plastic Owl...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    turned out to be a plastic Owl...
    Presumably to keep the jetty clear of bird poo (I'm guessing).

Yesterday's encounter for us was a deer showing off its small antlers on White Edge moor near Totley.

On this mornings dog walk a Collared Dove with a Sparrowhawk in hot pursuit flew across the road about 6 feet in front of me, and at eye level. They disappeared around a neighbours house so I don't know if it was a successful breakfast mission.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    I have seen Bats both yeterday morning and again this morning not really able to identify the specie in the torchlight but most likely a common pipistrelle, has to be an indication of how mild it still is.
    The older I get the Faster I was

An eventful few days of not really birding on our city break to Newcastle. A juvenile great northern diver in the Tyne, about 40 feet away - first time I've ever seen one of these. Then herons, curlews, gadwalls, and a peregrine all spotted while running along the Tyne around dawn. I'm guessing it's the wrong time of year to see kittiwakes - although TBH I'm not very good at telling small gulls apart.

On this afternoons run I saw a Roebuck in Lathkill Dale. He's the first one I've seen down there and a handsome chap he was too.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Walking through the Outwoods, admiring the toadstools on the ground, when a hare took off from about 3 metres away. Gave me a bit of a shock!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges