Page 372 of 457 FirstFirst ... 272322362370371372373374382422 ... LastLast
Results 3,711 to 3,720 of 4562

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

A deer came to visit our garden (here near Hamburg suburbs, northern Germany) the other week.
    Decided to eat many leaves from my apple tree.
    Wife took a video of him. Cool.

Out with the dogs this morning and I noticed that there was lots of cuckoo spit clinging to the grass and weeds on the verges. This reminded me that I had not heard a Cuckoo this year and that it was probably getting a bit late in the year to do so. About five minutes later, yes, you've guessed it, a Cuckoo calling from across the other side of Lathkill Dale.

It made my day until this afternoon when I trumped it by picking up 1st V60 at the Bosley Fete Fell Race.

A final thought, which came first the Cuckoo or the Cuckoo Spit?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Out with the dogs this morning and I noticed that there was lots of cuckoo spit clinging to the grass and weeds on the verges. This reminded me that I had not heard a Cuckoo this year and that it was probably getting a bit late in the year to do so. About five minutes later, yes, you've guessed it, a Cuckoo calling from across the other side of Lathkill Dale.

It made my day until this afternoon when I trumped it by picking up 1st V60 at the Bosley Fete Fell Race.

A final thought, which came first the Cuckoo or the Cuckoo Spit?
    Nice one. I hear it was quite rainy again.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Nice one. I hear it was quite rainy again.
    You hear right!

Missus had a Privet hawk moth in the moth trap last night. Not especially rare overall, but we are out of their area so a nice catch for mid Wales.
    Magnificent animal, our largest native moth.

Whilst out and about today I sat for around 8-10 minutes watching, from a distance of 18 inches, a Bumble Bee systematically visit the 28 available open flowers on a beautiful white foxglove.

Nothing better than the natural world.

We had a flock of swifts over the garden yesterday. It's rare to see them near us.

Out early driving to Wharfedale 3 peaks, there was a snipe sat on a fence post by the road in Greenhow, then a covey of partridges before Kilnsey. Birds on top of Old Cote Moor were spectacular, Curlew, Oyster catcher, lapwings, skylarks and more. Came home and had to rescue a big toad from our cat in the back garden. It was squeaking, never heard a toad make a noise before. Maybe I should have kissed it, but what do I want with a prince.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    It was squeaking... Maybe I should have kissed it, but what do I want with a prince.
    The artist formerly known as...

I had a giant wood wasp trying to lay eggs on the larch roof I've just put on my shed. Big scary looking thing, until you realise it's big "sting" is for laying eggs. There's a pici of one here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/arkins/4799395181

Eagle in Borrowdale on the weekend. We said "Eagle" immediately then went through the possibilities of what else it could have been. We were wondering if we'd got the scale wrong, and were trying to get some perspective. Then a crow went up to chase it off and we could see it's wingspan was about twice that of the crow, which ruled out most other things. I've never seen one in the Lakes before.

Then a family of treecreepers - very cute.