Page 395 of 457 FirstFirst ... 295345385393394395396397405445 ... LastLast
Results 3,941 to 3,950 of 4564

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    This thread has been taking on a rather Hitchcockian theme recently (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birds_(film)), so here is my contribution: a skua observed from rather close quarters on the coast near the Old Man of Hoy, Orkney, in 1992.

Skua.jpeg

Not quite the quality of wildlife photography that we would get from Wharfeego, but I was subject to an air raid at the time! Fortunately no bombs were dropped, and there was no beak-to-face combat.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    This thread has been taking on a rather Hitchcockian theme recently (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birds_(film)), so here is my contribution: a skua observed from rather close quarters on the coast near the Old Man of Hoy, Orkney, in 1992.

Skua.jpeg

Not quite the quality of wildlife photography that we would get from Wharfeego, but I was subject to an air raid at the time! Fortunately no bombs were dropped, and there was no beak-to-face combat.
    I'm guessing this wasn't taken with a telephoto lens. In which case, the skua was scarily close.

From me: a family of long-tailed tits slowly making their way along the road-side tree line. The young ones were still a little fluffy and hadn't yet developed the apricot shoulders.

Yesterday evening two peregrines, I think they were young ones, squabbling and squawking in flight on the rim of Hindlow Quarry. They flew past us, about 30feet away and 3ft off the ground for a few seconds before disappearing into the quarry. We could still hear them and around a minute later we were treated to another flypast from the opposite direction before they disappeared silently back into the quarry.

Fantastic.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    Went for a walk around the fields this morning and saw hundreds of baby rabbits.

Most I've seen for 50year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Went for a walk around the fields this morning and saw hundreds of baby rabbits.

Most I've seen for 50year.
    Sounds like you've got a proper warren on your door step. Although mainly scavengers, Red Kites will kill rabbits and might be tempted away from Harewood House to your neck of the woods.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Sounds like you've got a proper warren on your door step. Although mainly scavengers, Red Kites will kill rabbits and might be tempted away from Harewood House to your neck of the woods.
    They would be welcome at Temple Newsam to keep them from digging up the fairways and keep the rooks off the greens

A blooming great Peacock today... in the carpark outside my office, about a mile from the NEC...

Looking into the window of the next office... i assume it could see its reflection and thought it might be another Peacock...

No idea what it was doing round there. Thought i must've been on drugs, so i took a photo to make sure it was real!

Master
    Not wildlife but I saw my first couple of Harebells (Fellbells) of the season on the fell today
    The older I get the Faster I was

About 8 wrens flying across the footpath one at a time, but in quick succession. In front of me and Mrs Noel on yesterday's run. My British birds top trumps tell me wrens lay lots of eggs (8-11 or something like that), so I'm guessing it was one brood all following a parent bird.

Was going to give my beech hedge a trim today but whilst having my breakfast I observed a Mistle Thrush collecting nest materials and taking them into the hedge.

On checking I can see that a nest is being built, or probably refurbished for a second brood, as I would think that the middle of July is a bit late for a pair to start from scratch.