Page 399 of 458 FirstFirst ... 299349389397398399400401409449 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 3,990 of 4578

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

I was followed by a large Kite-like bird this afternoon. Must've been a good 5ft wingspan. Followed me for around a mile and a half.

I didn't initially think it was a Red Kite... Having seen them before in Shropshire where they're noticeably red, I couldn't notice that distinct colouring.

I thought perhaps a Black Kite but a bit of research makes that seem quite unlikely, just to the east of Snowdonia.

Possibly just a Red Kite and mistaken identity on my part.

Super Moderator
    The V-shaped fork tail is the thing to look for Travs
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Yes it definitely had the trademark Kite tail... Just didn't notice any redness on the bird...

Yesterday's wildlife encounter: two kestrels fighting on some grass. I assume fighting - it looked pretty fierce, with one holding the other down on its back with wings outstretched - not how I'd think mating occurs and probably the wrong time of year.

They were just over a wall and making quite a racket, so I could pop my head over the wall to see what was going on at which point they flew off. They were about 6 feet away from me - one of those times I wished I ever carried a camera.

Maybe quarrelling over territory?

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Yes it definitely had the trademark Kite tail... Just didn't notice any redness on the bird...
    It was probably watching you struggle in the tussocks thinking it might get an unexpected tasty meal!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I had no idea there were red squirrels in wharfedale. Saw one crossing the road in conistone, just near the dib.

Almost 20 years pottering up and down the Leeds-Liverpool canal and today I saw a cormorant for the first time, a couple of miles out West on the canal section close to Jct 3 of the M65.

Didn't seem nervous of our presence at all as we stopped to watch it swimming and then diving down for 5-10 seconds at a time.

It looked to be thoroughly enjoying itself on the small fish which are abundant at the moment.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Sparrowhawk made an appearance in the garden again today. Settled down on the bird-table (it usually prefers the top of the fence).

Put on a big show of spreading its wings before flying off, could really appreciate its size.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Almost 20 years pottering up and down the Leeds-Liverpool canal and today I saw a cormorant for the first time, a couple of miles out West on the canal section close to Jct 3 of the M65.

Didn't seem nervous of our presence at all as we stopped to watch it swimming and then diving down for 5-10 seconds at a time.

It looked to be thoroughly enjoying itself on the small fish which are abundant at the moment.
    Those small fish won't be abundant for long!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Fifteen (!!) pied wagtails on our roof today. Normally there are a few of them about, but this was like a Hitchcock movie.