Page 420 of 421 FirstFirst ... 320370410418419420421 LastLast
Results 4,191 to 4,200 of 4208

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    On todays bike ride a Wren flew out of a moss covered wall and straight through the spokes of my front wheel.

I never felt a thing and fortunately no puff of feathers!
    Two wrens sitting on a wall.
    I bet you couldn't fly through a bike wheel without hitting it.
    I bet I could.
    Bet you couldn't, I bet you three ants and a caterpillar dinner.
    Right, you're on; here comes a slow old cyclist - I'm going for it....!!

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Two wrens sitting on a wall.
    I bet you couldn't fly through a bike wheel without hitting it.
    I bet I could.
    Bet you couldn't, I bet you three ants and a caterpillar dinner.
    Right, you're on; here comes a slow old cyclist - I'm going for it....!!

Yes. And I was going uphill!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

A Jay this morning in the Hafren Forest only trumped by my first Cuckoo of 2021 above Llandinam in Cwm Ffrwd yesterday. Heard but unsurprisingly not seen. I was annoyed that in my rush to catch the bus I had forgotten my field glasses and as it was calling for about 10 minutes I'd have had a good chance of spotting it.

I was even more annoyed I'd forgotten them, when, about an hour later when up on the Llandinam Hills between the two windfarms, what a visual and aural act of vandalism they are, I saw on a reedy field what I thought was a flock of Lapwings. About 30 of them, they all lifted together about 6 feet and settled down again. I thought, as I tried to find my phone, that they looked a bit small and before I could get a photo they were off on the wind and out of sight. I could see that they were definitely not Lapwings as their wings were pointed and smaller. Looking at my book I think they were Little Ringed Plover's but the habitat is not quite right although there was a small llyn nearby.

In my early teens during my egg collecting days, and before the windfarms, those hills were full of Curlew and Lapwing at this time of year but none to be seen. Plenty of Skylark though.

A lovely walk back to Llani, taking in some of Glyndwrs Way, of just over 15 miles, 2'620 feet in dead on 5hrs.

Anyway a lovely

Master
    Heard my first cuckoo yesterday - such a lovely sound, such a bizarre life story.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Pair of common terns flying over the river Soar near Stanford-on-Soar, making a lot of noise; were they upset by my presence? [I was on a public footpath.] I hadn't realised that terns use inland waters.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

In my early teens during my egg collecting days, and before the windfarms, those hills were full of Curlew and Lapwing at this time of year but none to be seen. Plenty of Skylark though.

I know your thoughts on badgers are much the same as mine, but most cannot accept what predators they are and how destructive when their population increases. This is a resume of a study I read last week regards the lapwing - the nests all had cameras on them so no doubts about the culprit.

“Take, for example, Auchnerran farm in Aberdeenshire, owned by the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust and managed for biodiversity. This year alone, two-thirds of the lapwing nests have already been destroyed by badgers. This is a property that is farmed for biodiversity. Similarly, at the trust’s property in Allerton, Leicestershire, there have been no hedgehogs for seven years and no waders for 10 years because of predators”.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post

I know your thoughts on badgers are much the same as mine, but most cannot accept what predators they are and how destructive when their population increases. This is a resume of a study I read last week regards the lapwing - the nests all had cameras on them so no doubts about the culprit.

“Take, for example, Auchnerran farm in Aberdeenshire, owned by the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust and managed for biodiversity. This year alone, two-thirds of the lapwing nests have already been destroyed by badgers. This is a property that is farmed for biodiversity. Similarly, at the trust’s property in Allerton, Leicestershire, there have been no hedgehogs for seven years and no waders for 10 years because of predators”.
    The problem is that the "townies" think they are lovely cuddly creatures, aided and abetted by the likes of Chris Packham.

I really enjoy Spring/Winterwatch on television, apart from its love in with badgers. I'm sure that some of the presenters, and certainly Iolo, would have similar views to us on the badger but dare not reveal them as the BBC would drop them before you could say Jack Robinson!

I find Iolo a pretty sensible and pragmatic bloke regards wildlife, but as you say, one word out of place these days and you haven't a job anymore.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Pied flycatcher in the garden this afternoon - one of those birds that's meant to be common, but I very rarely see. It was checking out a tit nesting box. I thought we had blue tits in there, so maybe it moved on - looking for another suitable nesting site.

A falcon of some ilk darted across in front of me with a sparrow in its talons as i was driving over the Chevin today.
    Can't climb for toffee...