Page 425 of 457 FirstFirst ... 325375415423424425426427435 ... LastLast
Results 4,241 to 4,250 of 4562

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    In view of the fact they are on the endangered list, you might want to report it on the British Dragonfly Society's database, below. You don't need to be a member, just know where you were, (shouldn't be a problem for you!), and what you saw

https://british-dragonflies.org.uk/r...-your-records/

There's help on identifying what you saw if you have any doubts, and loads of great photos of course
    Cumbira Wild Life Trust replied... "I suspect the dragonflies you saw are more likely to be golden ringed dragonflies. One of our larger species, they breed in streams with gravel.
    White faces darters are astonishingly rare, only found at a handful of sites in England and have quite particular habitat requirements including deep acidic pools wit plenty of a particular species of Sphagnum moss."

Whatever, they were spectacular to observe.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Wife put the moth trap out last night, ideal conditions so she used the big mercury vapour bulb. Pulled in 65 species (55 macro species and 10 micro), all recorded and logged. Not bad for the garden!

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Wife put the moth trap out last night, ideal conditions so she used the big mercury vapour bulb. Pulled in 65 species (55 macro species and 10 micro), all recorded and logged. Not bad for the garden!
    Nice. What were your favourites?

When i was climbing up Fan Llia yesterday (a remote mountain to the west of Pen Y Fan), there were absolutely thousands of small butterflies/moths, no bigger than a 5 pence coin. Pale grey/white in colour, and seemed to be there for the tiny white flowers which grow in amongst the tussocks.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Nice. What were your favourites?
    I like the big, bright coloured, full on bling moths, something I can see without putting my spectacles on!
    But they are truly remarkable and far more diverse and pretty than butterflies, even a micro moth that is tiny is beautiful (under a magnifying glass). Plume moths are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Plume moths are amazing.
    Roll-up wings. I like that.

Down Lathkill Dale today on a wet dog walk saw two families of Dipper, both consisting of an adult and two young, making the most of the abundance of food about after the overnight rain.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

A few wildlife encounters over the last few days.

1. Running Coledale Horseshoe as a long slow outing with Mrs Noel. Contouring along the path on the south side of the summit of Crag Hill, a little mouse ran the other way along the path towards me. I managed not to tread on it.

2. A young buzzard sitting on the lawn in the garden, being chased off by a mob of angry wrens.

3. A stoat in a drystone wall tonight in the garden being stalked by our cat. I don't think the cat should try to chase stoats, but she seemed keen.

https://youtu.be/aKKoPiXlDqY

One of the usual guys coming for breakfast just outside my living room / home office

In the Duddon Valley last week, I watched a bumblebee enjoying the nectar on a white clover flower in front of where I was sat, just before it was snatched up by a large dragonfly! Carried off to a stand of spike grass nearby.

At the bottom of the Walna Scar road, was a wonderful, large, inverted cone wasps' nest, hanging from the branch of a silver birch.
    Am Yisrael Chai