Page 402 of 457 FirstFirst ... 302352392400401402403404412452 ... LastLast
Results 4,011 to 4,020 of 4564

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Try feeding the the nuthatches hempseed and the watch your lawn turn into a hemp plantation next spring. Shame to get the lawnmower out
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Finally a day of sun and beautiful Autumn colours. My wife and I went for a walk round our local Nature Reserve on the bank of the Wharfe in Otley. Great bird life Nuthatches, Treecreepers, Bullfinches and Moorhens. Saw an Egret on the river - first time I've seen one locally. On Monday it was in full flood, but had gone down to more normal levels today.

Apart from the odd crust and fruit that has gone over I am not a year round feeder of birds. I think from May to October there is enough natural food around which is better for them.

As soon as it drops colder in November, which it just has, I clean and fill my feeders. Today, within 1 hour of hanging my feeders up there was a blue tit and great tit on them, both of which I have not seen around our garden since the summer.

Isn't nature great!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

At the end of today's run from Bowderdale to The Calf and back, I was sitting on the rear ledge of the car, with the hatch up, sipping my post run flask of coffee and glorying in the autumnal colours, when a dainty red squirrel came bobbing along the fence top and halted no more that 2 feet away from me. It stopped for a good 2 minutes, observing me. One of those Wurzel lyric moments '...Now I sees he, and he sees I'.

Arriving back home later, my daily SpainishDict email had the word-of-the-day as 'la ardilla" = Squirrel!

Now I'm not one for omens, but out of curiosity and a bit of spookiness I googled asrtology-web to find that ...

A squirrel symbolizes energy, playfulness, balance, preparation, socializing, prudence, and resourcefulness. As a sun-loving animal, it also embodies passion, vitality, trust and an active, fun-filled life.

Well, that's me to a T But I'll also be mindful of my n*ts, just in case!
    Am Yisrael Chai

We got a young hedgehog yesterday, spotted out in the chicken field and day before came walking up the drive.
    A bad sign as they are usually too small to hibernate (not enough fat) so hungry and hunting during the daytime. We weighed it and it is underweight but otherwise looks in good condition with no injuries or fleas.
    Now in the old quail hutch and probably stay there now for the winter and release it nice and plump in the spring. We have another hog living under a sheet of corrugated for the winter, built itself a lovely cosy nest and looks settled.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

A monkey, not sure what species, in my garden, stealing my papayas, aubergines and even hot peppers!Monkey_1.JPG

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Latege View Post
    A monkey, not sure what species, in my garden, stealing my papayas, aubergines and even hot peppers!Monkey_1.JPG
    Tropical problems.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Tropical problems.
    Surrounded by a flurry of long-tailed tits on a lane off the Orton Fells. Close and very cute.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Anyone seen Hawfinches yet. Never seen one and they featured on Autumn watch. Kingfisher this morning on the Wharfe and a report of people watching Salmon jumping the wier in Otley.

No. Never seen one either. Not many Scots Pine forests around here!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog