Page 424 of 457 FirstFirst ... 324374414422423424425426434 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,240 of 4562

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Nice. There's obviously a lot going on there. I wonder what all the tail wagging near the start is about.

A ring ouzel today while we were climbing at Stanage right-hand end. It's only the second I've ever seen and was looking very un-exotic: just pootling about seemingly unperturbed by the loads of people walking and climbing.

Spent last night sleeping out on Old Cote Moor, with great birdlife. The highlight was seeing a Merlin.
    This was bettered today by seeing an Otter in the River Wharfe just downstream from Otley. I've seen Otters in Scotland and Wales so an English first for me.

An otter - very cool.

My highlight today was a stoat just about to cross the road before seeing me walking and diving back into the undergrowth.

Bird in garden today: spotted flycatcher I think - I didn't have the binoculars handy. It did exactly what my bird book said it would - sitting on a high perch (phone wire) in an upright position with a slightly long tail, and then making sudden sorties to catch flies.

A male sparrowhawk perched on top of the washing line post in our garden. I guess he was attracted by all the small birds using the numerous feeding stations around the garden. Stunning yellow eyes.

It's strange but i had a regular sparrowhawk at the garden in Cov.... but i've yet to see any bird of prey at all in the Lakes yet (save for a buzzard above the car on the M6)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Saw what I believe, unless anyone else knows any better, was the first Black-tailed Skimmer dragonfly I've ever seen. It was on the ground, which apparently they do, on the path through a field of Staffordshire barley. Had my phone with me, so managed to get a photo but it's not up to Fellbeast's standard as I couldn't get within about 5m of it

Also saw, and got a lot closer to, what I think was a Common Blue Damselfly, which are both common and blue!

Just back from a bivvy out last might on the summit of Carrock Fell. after 'yomping' an approximation of the Old Crown Round (Mosedale start/fin). While waiting for the trickle of water to fill my water bottles, at the boggy areas on the south-east corner of the top, I was buzzed by a couple of these...

https://live.staticflickr.com/7598/2...152d06e5_b.jpg

They seemed really tame, landing on the cotton-grass and heather thereabouts. I think I've got the ID correct. Times like that when a mobile (with a camera) would have been handy!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Looks to me, from the excellent photo you posted, like a female White-faced Darter, which like bogs and waterlogged areas. If correct they are very rare, and are on the endangered list
    Yes, I saw that in the description. I've never seen such as 'waspy' coloured dragonfly before either, which particularly caught my attention.

I've just emailed the Cumbrian Wildlife Trust to inquire as to whether it could possibly have been a w/f darter.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Or register on iRecord to have it collated and checked by experts.
    https://www.brc.ac.uk/irecord/

A Skylark

I'm amazed...