Page 362 of 459 FirstFirst ... 262312352360361362363364372412 ... LastLast
Results 3,611 to 3,620 of 4586

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Super Moderator
    Local chiffchaff heard loud and clear with Stef. We did the chiffchaff dance 😀

I feel I am missing out so I have been training my ear by listening to the Chiffchaff call on the Internet this morning, and a very nice sound it is. Off for a run now and shall be listening out but am not sure if the more elevated parts of the White Peak is within its range due to the lack of hedgerows. Any ideas as to Chiffchaff hotspots in the White Peak?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Local chiffchaff heard loud and clear with Stef. We did the chiffchaff dance ��
    Nice one!

Didn't see any Wheatear in the Peak on Saturday but we saw a couple around Scafell Pike on Sunday - quite high up as well.

Super Moderator
    Llani just look out for shrubby semi-overgrown areas or woodland. Parkland is good too. The call is very distinctive and loud. Once you’ve heard one you’ll be ‘tuned in’

Pied wagtail convinced there's another one in our bedroom. He's spending about 2 hours a day attacking his reflection in the window. We had this before with a chaffinch.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Pied wagtail convinced there's another one in our bedroom. He's spending about 2 hours a day attacking his reflection in the window. We had this before with a chaffinch.
    I bet you are looking forward to the reintroduction of the Golden Eagle!

This also reminds me of the day I returned to the car park at Malham and could hear a loud banging noise only to be confronted by a large ram, with the big drop handle bar horns, head butting the side of a nice silver Mercedes car.

Not mine I hasten to add.(The Ram or Car)
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 28-03-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I bet you are looking forward to the reintroduction of the Golden Eagle!

This also reminds me of the day I returned to the car park at Malham and could hear a loud banging noise only to be confronted by a large ram, with the big drop handle bar horns, head butting the side of a nice silver Mercedes car.

Not mine I hasten to add.(The Ram or Car)
    An eagle would be nice. It's strange how you don't get bigger birds doing it - maybe they are cleverer?

Wow, imagine being the Merc owner and trying to explain that to your insurance company and the police: "it was that sheep there. Yes the one who's now back with the flock and trying to look nonchalant"

Saw my first butterfly of the year yesterday - a male Orange tip flitting around not far from the centre of New Mills. Surprised I've not seen a Brimstone yet though.

Super Moderator
    I’m in Devon staying at my in-laws. Highlights from various walks / short birding expeditions include turnstones, black tailed godwits (some in breeding plumage), gadwall and yesterday a greenshank

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I’m in Devon staying at my in-laws. Highlights from various walks / short birding expeditions include turnstones, black tailed godwits (some in breeding plumage), gadwall and yesterday a greenshank
    Haha! Nice one Andy - my in-laws live in north Norfolk and you've just listed some of the birds that we normally see on visits to them (at Titchwell, Cley etc.)