Page 391 of 458 FirstFirst ... 291341381389390391392393401441 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,910 of 4578

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Three dippers together this morning. I'm guessing one was a baby, as the other two were feeding it, and seemed to be showing it how to look for food in shallow water. Also a hare just disappearing under the gate before I could get my camera out.

Got a baby blackbird in the back garden, obviously the nest must be in one of the hedges i think.

Constantly squawking to be fed. Keeps wandering around the lawn on its own. At lunchtime it was right in the far corner of the lawn... right where the cats come through the hedge or climb the fence, and right below where the sparrowhawk likes to survey the garden.

Can't see it lasting long unfortunately...

Finaly heard a cuckoo. Out with my son running the Round Hill Fell Race route. Then baby grouse on the path.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Got a baby blackbird in the back garden, obviously the nest must be in one of the hedges i think.

Constantly squawking to be fed. Keeps wandering around the lawn on its own. At lunchtime it was right in the far corner of the lawn... right where the cats come through the hedge or climb the fence, and right below where the sparrowhawk likes to survey the garden.

Can't see it lasting long unfortunately...
    I've got a starling nesting inside my garage roof. Babies squawking all the time too. The mum keeps dive bombing me when I go in and out. My cat is just biding her time I think till they emerge.

Saw a blue tit disappear into a very narrow slot at the top of a hollow metal gatepost. A few minutes later it emerged and flew off. Inventive place for a nest I thought.

A frog sitting next to our new "lock-down" pond. We were very excited and felt like new parents!

Not a pleasant one but on tonight’s dog walk with Mrs DTR, a lovely blackbird was hit by a car right beside us, it ended up on the road in obvious pain only to be immediately picked up by a seagull, the seagull lands in the field beside us whereupon it’s set upon by a crow who shoos it off, not to eat the blackbird as we thought but to call in its mates who swoop around it keeping a crowd of seagulls off, weird, when we walked back later the poor old blackbird was still lying in the field, so come on all you birders on here what were they up to???

How interesting.
    I've seen corvids drive off predators before as a group. Perhaps the blackbird was corvid-like enough to arouse feelings of (maternal) protection in the crows.

Out walking on Round Hill (north of Ilkley) again early this morning and heard 3 seperate cuckoo's calling. Also lots of Greylag and a few Canada Geese, Golden Plover, Buzzards, Red Kites, Wheatears and a snipe rodding. All in all a very fine walk.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    How interesting.
    I've seen corvids drive off predators before as a group. Perhaps the blackbird was corvid-like enough to arouse feelings of (maternal) protection in the crows.
    That was our feeling, like they felt it was a small crow, amazing to see but sad at the same time