Page 427 of 456 FirstFirst ... 327377417425426427428429437 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,270 of 4560

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Is your lawnmower broken Gambatte?
    I should have expected some cheeky guy to come up with a remark like this.
    Lawnmower in good working order.
    Just after years of experimenting with lawn, I reach the conclusion that I much prefer some more natural, so as nature intended, rather than more artificial. Better for the environment, and for humans too therefore.

Last edited by Gambatte; 08-08-2021 at 07:45 AM.

Top snaps Marco.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

The owl is great

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    A single swallow on a telegraph wire during this mornings dog walk.

I saw it from some distance away first and was not sure, especially as its still March, but as I got closer I could see its long tuning fork shaped tail and it let me get right underneath it before it flew away.

Wonderful. I can't wait for tomorrow morning!
    On this mornings dog walk there was a large number of swallows, I counted up to 40 before they all flew off, on the same telegraph wire that I saw my single friend on in March.

They are obviously getting ready for their long flight to the sun and from the numbers in this neck of the woods they seem to have had a good year.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Grey wagtail, hopping from stone to stone along the Wood Brook near where the path from Buck Hill crosses it.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I spotted two Grey Seals lazing on a pebble/shingle cove on the quiet far side of Little Orme at Llandudno. Then as i climbed away from the sea, i turned and saw an even larger, darker Seal (i assume a male) haul himself out of the water, up the beach, and settle down next to them. Could hear the male growling/calling from quite a distance.

Saw at least a dozen Grey Seals again in the same cove under Little Orme. Males, females and pups.

Included one rather brutal (and incredibly noisy) fight between what i think was a male and a female.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Whilst on holiday last week in West Wales I managed to photograph two Golden-ringed dragonflies, one from above and one from below (sort of). As you can see, they do look a lot like what you thought you saw.

You're right. To my untutored eye they are very similar, especially as I had to rely only on my memory of what I saw, hours before, while later 'googling' at home. Thanks for posting.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Whilst out on a run yesterday evening I saw movement in the grass verge about 20 yards ahead. Suddenly a small creature appeared in the road and laid down flat. By this time it was only 10 yards away, I stopped, and I realised it was a Leveret.
    I also realised that it was the first time I had ever seen one even though seeing a Hare is a regular occurrence. It was so comical as it laid on the road as its ears were so long, stretched along its back, as it obviously thought it was camouflaged against the grey tarmac. After a coupe of seconds it set off like a rocket down the road, the comedy continuing as its legs, along with its ears were also too big for its skinny body.

It eventually darted into the verge about 50yards ahead before jumping out directly in front of me as I reached that spot and legged it around the bend ahead. I wished it well as I turned off the road and had a warm feeling all the way back to my car.

I think it was my wildlife highlight of 2021