Page 432 of 434 FirstFirst ... 332382422430431432433434 LastLast
Results 4,311 to 4,320 of 4334

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

  1. #4311
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    A herd of about 20 red deer, at least one of which had large antlers, on today's run up towards Wincle Minn. They were in a field but all bounced over a fence when they saw me.

    Nice to see, but I'm a little less well disposed to deer having pulled a tick of my leg after the weekend trip to the Lakes. Thankfully no target-shaped rash, or flu-like symptoms yet, but I'm keeping vigilant as I hear these can develop a while later.
    Tick awareness becomes pretty much a way of life when you live in the Lakes and spend a lot of time in Scotland especially when you camp/and Bivy.

    A little light reading for you :- http://https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/i...in%20the%20UK.

    Does anybody Know how HANNEKE`s recovery from Lymes went?


    Here is a old thread on ticks from 2014 :-

    https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...ighlight=TICKS
    Last edited by JohnK; 17-11-2021 at 06:43 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

  2. #4312
    Master mr brightside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Loving it in the Pilates Studio
    Posts
    6,828
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    A herd of about 20 red deer, at least one of which had large antlers, on today's run up towards Wincle Minn. They were in a field but all bounced over a fence when they saw me.

    Nice to see, but I'm a little less well disposed to deer having pulled a tick of my leg after the weekend trip to the Lakes. Thankfully no target-shaped rash, or flu-like symptoms yet, but I'm keeping vigilant as I hear these can develop a while later.
    Wear tights everywhere, that's what i do.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

  3. #4313
    Moderator noel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Western Peak District
    Posts
    5,953
    Thanks both. Forewarned is forearmed.

    That's a good point about tights - I should get some thin ones for when it's not cold enough for winter long legs.

  4. #4314
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    3,978
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Wear tights everywhere, that's what i do.
    Agreed - I wear them year round - I use 2XUs - they do not make me too hot, and they also provide a degree of compression.

  5. #4315
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Wear tights everywhere, that's what i do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Agreed - I wear them year round - I use 2XUs - they do not make me too hot, and they also provide a degree of compression.
    So I guess a something like this for camping/Bivvying :-

    https://www.morphsuits.co.uk/arachno...rphsuit-mlarom
    The older I get the Faster I was

  6. #4316
    Grandmaster IanDarkpeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    near the dark stuff
    Posts
    13,031
    a good repellent will keep them off too. I did a long run in scotland in shorts. covered my arms and legs in smidge and didn't have any there....but had 5 on my chest that I hadn't put repellent on...so long legs make a difference but repellent works better

  7. #4317
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    3,978
    Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    a good repellent will keep them off too. I did a long run in scotland in shorts. covered my arms and legs in smidge and didn't have any there....but had 5 on my chest that I hadn't put repellent on...so long legs make a difference but repellent works better
    I use Mosi-guard on my arms/neck/ears/around my waist. This, combined with my 2XU tights: I have never had any ticks.

  8. #4318
    Master mr brightside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Loving it in the Pilates Studio
    Posts
    6,828
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Thanks both. Forewarned is forearmed.

    That's a good point about tights - I should get some thin ones for when it's not cold enough for winter long legs.
    Cheap ones don't fit well, some manufacturers make both poorly fitting and good fitting tights at a variety of prices. Asics are known to me for this. Best fit was the skins A400 which is now discontinued and replaced with three other confusing options.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

  9. #4319
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    2,192
    Today on Bleaklow, midway between Dowstone Clough and Hern Stones a Mountain Hare.

    Its ears, apart from the tips, and head were white as was its rear quarters but the main part of its body was still brown.

    A wonderful sight.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  10. #4320
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    3,978
    There is an undulating gravel footpath at Brathay that goes from the main building to the lake. It has a 3 foot 6 inch wire fence on both sides, and is about 6 feet wide and 1/4 mile long. Yesterday there was young deer running away from me on the footpath, but the gate at the lake end was closed, and I did wonder what it was going to do. Of course it effortlessly jumped the fence - why it waited until it was almost at the gate I have no idea.

Similar Threads

  1. Today's DIY
    By Harry H Howgill in forum General chat!
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-02-2015, 11:45 AM
  2. Today's dog encounter
    By david in forum General chat!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-12-2008, 05:36 PM
  3. Today's DVD
    By Deejay in forum General chat!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-07-2008, 08:23 PM
  4. Persecution of Wildlife and Wh
    By IanDarkpeak in forum General Fellrunning Issues
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 12:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •