Page 420 of 456 FirstFirst ... 320370410418419420421422430 ... LastLast
Results 4,191 to 4,200 of 4560

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Master
    Heard my first cuckoo yesterday - such a lovely sound, such a bizarre life story.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Pair of common terns flying over the river Soar near Stanford-on-Soar, making a lot of noise; were they upset by my presence? [I was on a public footpath.] I hadn't realised that terns use inland waters.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

In my early teens during my egg collecting days, and before the windfarms, those hills were full of Curlew and Lapwing at this time of year but none to be seen. Plenty of Skylark though.

I know your thoughts on badgers are much the same as mine, but most cannot accept what predators they are and how destructive when their population increases. This is a resume of a study I read last week regards the lapwing - the nests all had cameras on them so no doubts about the culprit.

“Take, for example, Auchnerran farm in Aberdeenshire, owned by the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust and managed for biodiversity. This year alone, two-thirds of the lapwing nests have already been destroyed by badgers. This is a property that is farmed for biodiversity. Similarly, at the trust’s property in Allerton, Leicestershire, there have been no hedgehogs for seven years and no waders for 10 years because of predators”.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post

I know your thoughts on badgers are much the same as mine, but most cannot accept what predators they are and how destructive when their population increases. This is a resume of a study I read last week regards the lapwing - the nests all had cameras on them so no doubts about the culprit.

“Take, for example, Auchnerran farm in Aberdeenshire, owned by the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust and managed for biodiversity. This year alone, two-thirds of the lapwing nests have already been destroyed by badgers. This is a property that is farmed for biodiversity. Similarly, at the trust’s property in Allerton, Leicestershire, there have been no hedgehogs for seven years and no waders for 10 years because of predators”.
    The problem is that the "townies" think they are lovely cuddly creatures, aided and abetted by the likes of Chris Packham.

I really enjoy Spring/Winterwatch on television, apart from its love in with badgers. I'm sure that some of the presenters, and certainly Iolo, would have similar views to us on the badger but dare not reveal them as the BBC would drop them before you could say Jack Robinson!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I find Iolo a pretty sensible and pragmatic bloke regards wildlife, but as you say, one word out of place these days and you haven't a job anymore.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Pied flycatcher in the garden this afternoon - one of those birds that's meant to be common, but I very rarely see. It was checking out a tit nesting box. I thought we had blue tits in there, so maybe it moved on - looking for another suitable nesting site.

A falcon of some ilk darted across in front of me with a sparrow in its talons as i was driving over the Chevin today.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Watching the bird table this evening, two sparrowhawks came rattling round, (one stopped and sat on the tortoise pen), soon pursued by a crow that took umbrage at the insurgence into it's territory.
    All too quick to follow closely with lots of whizzing about, but they all went home hungry.

Had a stoat take a tour round the garden last night, before hopping into the field behind, spotted from the upstairs window.

I had to check online to determine it as a stoat not a weasel, as it turns out that the joke "Weasels are weasily recognised, whereas Stoats are stoatly different" is not a useful way to delineate between the two.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I’m going to use that one on our 6yr old tonight. I’ll let you know how it goes..