Page 429 of 457 FirstFirst ... 329379419427428429430431439 ... LastLast
Results 4,281 to 4,290 of 4563

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Saw a big herd of about 30 deer (including a big Stag) whilst out on the Hodgson relay route today. I think the leg 1 runners may have disturbed them, and they seemed to be heading from the flanks of the Hayeswater valley over into Bannerdale. A magnificent sight.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Saw a big herd of about 30 deer (including a big Stag) whilst out on the Hodgson relay route today. I think the leg 1 runners may have disturbed them, and they seemed to be heading from the flanks of the Hayeswater valley over into Bannerdale. A magnificent sight.
    Probably part of the Martindale Herd the oldest native red deer herd in England.
    The older I get the Faster I was

I did the Saunders in this area a few years ago, and one of the teams found a set of antlers (well half a set), which they carried around for the remaining day and a half, strapped to their pack. Lucky blighters. I've mooched around these fells for years trying to find a set, with no luck.

Also a few years ago, I was running back to Askham from High Street, along the ridge, somewhere between Red Crag and Wether Hill, when a herd of red deer came galloping up and over (presumably spooked by something) from the Howtown side and for a few seconds I found myself enveloped and running among them, before they descended towards Haweswater. Quite a special moment.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I did the Saunders in this area a few years ago, and one of the teams found a set of antlers (well half a set), which they carried around for the remaining day and a half, strapped to their pack. Lucky blighters. I've mooched around these fells for years trying to find a set, with no luck.
    I found an antler during a recce walk on my one and only visit to Jura. I've still got it 38 years later, although my wife has consigned it to the garden shed.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

My son found a red deer antler a few years ago. Compared with the Scottish red deer, the antlers grow bigger down here with the longer summers and richer habitat. It's got 10 points on a single antler, which I think is quite rare (16 on two makes it a "monarch").

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    My son found a red deer antler a few years ago. Compared with the Scottish red deer, the antlers grow bigger down here with the longer summers and richer habitat. It's got 10 points on a single antler, which I think is quite rare (16 on two makes it a "monarch").
    Umm... I need to keep searching. In my foraging defense, I did once find a near whole whale skeleton (head missing)washed up in a cleft on the rocky point(Rubha an Dunain), south of Loch Brittle, Skye. There was a whole set of ribs, etc., looking like a scene from the Flintstones, but the ribs were too heavy to trail back to the tent so we (my partner and I) carted a couple of vertebrae, which we still have in the garden as a... erm, conversation piece. My neighbour (a marine biologist) thought they might have been from a minke whale.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Two jays in the back garden squabbling over a mouse yesterday before dark. I hardly see a jay from one year to the next then two at once. Also I didn't know they could catch mice.

2 Cormorants perched on rocks around a reservoir this morning.

Also spied an interesting looking bird at the end of a jetty, so engaged a birdwatcher in discussion and asked him what it was.... turned out to be a plastic Owl...

turned out to be a plastic Owl...
    Presumably to keep the jetty clear of bird poo (I'm guessing).

Yesterday's encounter for us was a deer showing off its small antlers on White Edge moor near Totley.

On this mornings dog walk a Collared Dove with a Sparrowhawk in hot pursuit flew across the road about 6 feet in front of me, and at eye level. They disappeared around a neighbours house so I don't know if it was a successful breakfast mission.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog