Page 407 of 457 FirstFirst ... 307357397405406407408409417 ... LastLast
Results 4,061 to 4,070 of 4564

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I thought I saw a Yellow Wagtail. I see plenty of Pied Wagtails but can't recall ever seeing a Yellow one. Checked it out and I probably saw a Grey Wagtail, which is also quite yellow, but doesn't migrate.
    Still it was a cute, eyecatching little thing bobbing around the brook that feeds in to the Roddlesworth Reservoir system.
    Correct WP. It would almost certainly have been a Grey Wagtail if seen around water. We have some locally and I think they are one of those birds that one could watch for hours.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I thought I saw a Yellow Wagtail. I see plenty of Pied Wagtails but can't recall ever seeing a Yellow one. Checked it out and I probably saw a Grey Wagtail, which is also quite yellow, but doesn't migrate.
    Still it was a cute, eyecatching little thing bobbing around the brook that feeds in to the Roddlesworth Reservoir system.
    I saw a Grey Wagtail yesterday on the River Wharfe at Otley. I was watching a Kingfisher perched and it flew by and landed on some stones. Watched the KF for over 10 minutes,
    Saw my first Yellow Wagtail this summer also locally in a wet field. They are very yellow!

Not been on the forum for a while, but I thought it was worth mentioning that we saw a pair of Snow Bunting on Kinder Low a few days before Christmas. Apparently they're considered a rare bird in Derbyshire, so the local Ornithological Society got quiet excited about them!

Exciting indeed. I've never seen them in the UK.

My latest exploits with my wildlife camera have yielded mixed results. First we had a hare loping through the garden at night. Then I set up a pole with the camera pointing at the top. I was hoping to get some birds of prey, but I only caught some video of hail. I guess it shows the motion detector is working.

I saw a deer in the forest near home where I went for a walk at lunchtime.

Midmorning I saw "Aranci", the orange squirrel we kind of adopted, as usual he visited our garden for the seeds/nuts we prepared for him. Now he's a regular. I wonder if he knows it's us preparing his food.

Saturday: we saw four red deer just near to old Flash road.
    Just now: juvenile sparrowhawk in the garden trying (badly) to catch small bird while it was sitting in a quince bush. On a hiding to nothing there I think.

I saw a ladybird on a stile yesterday... i assume that is an early sign of spring?

I just ordered a wildlife camera, Campark T80 56EUR eBay, to capture animals visiting our gardens. Especially "aranci" and "blacky", the two squirrels we kind of adopted, we feed them regularly. At the previous address 10km off we even got a young deer into our garden.
    I will post on youtube.

On a miserable day I was very pleased to see two Blackcaps this morning. Came in for seeds I had put out.

Two jays crawking on today's run. And a large swollen toad sitting by the side of the road. Maybe a very early sign of spring. Or maybe it had been washed out by the recent heavy rains.