Page 422 of 458 FirstFirst ... 322372412420421422423424432 ... LastLast
Results 4,211 to 4,220 of 4576

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Great pic. I had a memorable moment on Great End during my BG round where we flushed a dozen or so dotterel out from virtually under our feet.
    Surprisied to learn some have stopped over on Ingleborough.

A few days away fishing and in the wood I found a nest on the ground with eggs still inside (some broken). I thought it possibly a long tailed tit as it had a front door, but further research at home it proved to be a goldcrest nest. Probably fallen out of a tree.
    Also saw a sparrowhawk taking prey to it's nest.

Another cuckoo sighting today. None for about 5 years and then two in three weeks! This one was on Gun Hill. It was being pursued by lots of little birds, seeing it off their patch.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Another cuckoo sighting today. None for about 5 years and then two in three weeks! This one was on Gun Hill. It was being pursued by lots of little birds, seeing it off their patch.
    Fantastic.

I've only ever seen one Cuckoo which was around 40 years ago while cycling in Glen Arroch on Skye on my way to catch the Kylerhea Ferry (summer only) over to Glenelg. Happy days!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Just had a couple of Weeks on Coll and Tiree (islands in the Hebrides off Mull) Saw a lot of Cuckoos on Coll. Regularly woken up by one at 4.30 in the morning.
    On Tiree we heard a lot of Corncrakes, but the hide well. Then we were driving down a road and there were two in a field. First time I've ever seen one.
    Nice islands, but not exactly mountainous. Great views of Rum and the other Small Isles.

Saw a Hare this evening in the Eden Valley. Not sure if they are rare (I doubt it), but I was told that they are becoming less common.

Certainly not rare around here Travs. I saw two today. However there were not many about in March, when they are said to go mad, but they seem to be making up for it now. Probably the weather is to blame.

Whilst on the subject I have seen more Wrens than ever this year. I think it is probably because this year the leaves have been so slow and late to emerge that they are easily seen flitting about with less cover.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    The birch tree in a neighbour's garden is owned by a very loquacious blackbird. Go out any evening, and he will be perched on a thin branch near the top of the tree, telling anyone who listens what sort of a day he has had. He has a wide vocabulary; I wish I could understand blackbirdese.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Damn great goshawk (female I presume) flew over us this evening eyeing up our chickens, ducks, geese. It was hotly pursued off the territory by the resident crow, I hate carrion crows but sometimes the devil you know....etc.

The Mayblossom on the Hawthorn that adorn the slopes of Lathkill Dale below the pub has finally come out on the last day in May.

Have never seen it so late but still as beautiful as it always is.