Page 11 of 457 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Re: Today's Wildlife Encounter

[QUOTE=IanDarkpeak;135163]
    Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post

Trap...was too small for a fox and given location it wasn't for a rabbitt or hare.

Don't know for certain hence the ? it was semi decomposed but about 25cms long grey brown fur thin with long tail Stoat/Weasel/sharp pointy teeth! ?

The traps were set out side a purpose built hole(nest) with an egg in side. I've got the GRef and picture on another unoccupied snare found same day, we set it off and then buried both snare and hole.
    'ang on a minnit ID...in tha previous post tha said "snare"...now tha's sayin "trap"...there's a difference. I think tha's stumbled on a Fenn trap which are used to catch small ground "vermin" such as stoats, weasels 'n rats.

Tha mention that the dead animal was semi-decomposed...these traps are legal but they must be set in a tunnel to prevent non-target animals being caught and they must be checked at least once a day but preferably twice...mornin 'n evenin...so the fact that the animal was decomposed shows that the "gamekeeper" is usin the trap illegally.

Tha shuduv tekken a photo then passed th'evidence to th'appropiate authority...animal welfare/DEFRA/Natural England/RSPCA.

Don't pick the trap up or destroy it coz that's th'evidence. Also if traps/snares are bein used legally then tha won't be doin fell runnin fraternity any good by annoyin gamekeepers 'n landowners.

That was anutha "public information message".

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Errr... btw IDP: how did you know it was a stoat?
    I thought it was common knowledge that a weasle is weasily identified and a stoat is stoatally different?

Wharfeego should get that keyboard of his fixed.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Quote Originally Posted by Margarine View Post
    Wharfeego should get that keyboard of his fixed.
    Aye, I didn't know you could get keyboards that wrote in Gaelic....!

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    Aye, I didn't know you could get keyboards that wrote in Gaelic....!
    yes you can, look here

Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

!!!

Super Moderator

Really pleased to report mum and dad blackbird have produced a large baby blackbird from the nest in the bush in my front garden. Dad's just been feeding baby on the fence 5feet from my front-room window - fantastic!

[QUOTE=wharfeego;135168]
    Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post

'ang on a minnit ID...in tha previous post tha said "snare"...now tha's sayin "trap"...there's a difference. I think tha's stumbled on a Fenn trap which are used to catch small ground "vermin" such as stoats, weasels 'n rats.

Tha mention that the dead animal was semi-decomposed...these traps are legal but they must be set in a tunnel to prevent non-target animals being caught and they must be checked at least once a day but preferably twice...mornin 'n evenin...so the fact that the animal was decomposed shows that the "gamekeeper" is usin the trap illegally.

Tha shuduv tekken a photo then passed th'evidence to th'appropiate authority...animal welfare/DEFRA/Natural England/RSPCA.

Don't pick the trap up or destroy it coz that's th'evidence. Also if traps/snares are bein used legally then tha won't be doin fell runnin fraternity any good by annoyin gamekeepers 'n landowners.

That was anutha "public information message".
    'as tha got a piture ova fenn trap?

Snare/Trap they both catch animals, sorry if it was worded incorrectly.

Like a big mouse trap and yes it had been in the hole so other animals would not be caught. Neither had been checked for weeks, the other one had had an egg in it but it had decomposed. the trap was very rusty. Will try and post a picture later.
    I shall report it.

We've had a cute Robin Redbreast hanging around in the garden the last few days.
    I thought they only came out at Christmas
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Catched a buck Roe Deer ont'camcorda whilst 'avin mi butties int'van...it trotted x road 'n leapt a fence then started munching some foliage...zoomed reet in on it.
    Will add it to the fox cub snippets...plus wotever I manage to film later this evenin...then I'll ask Grifter to stick it on yoo toob...'e said 'e would last neet int'pub.
    I'll 'ave to be well upwind o' the sensitive-nosed buggas 'r'else they'll be down th'oles like a shot.
    Blathered missen up wi' avon sss...plus mi midge 'ood...goin prepared this time
    I'm off up yon dale...keep thi fingers x'd I'll geet some good views fothee to look at next week.

WharfAttenborough.