Page 365 of 458 FirstFirst ... 265315355363364365366367375415 ... LastLast
Results 3,641 to 3,650 of 4578

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Woodpeckers heard (but not seen) in the countryside to the south-west and south of Coventry yesterday during Cov Way Ultra.

I have little idea whether this is common or not, but i always keep an ear out now, after recognising them for the first time on Rasaay a few weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Woodpeckers heard (but not seen) in the countryside to the south-west and south of Coventry yesterday during Cov Way Ultra.

I have little idea whether this is common or not, but i always keep an ear out now, after recognising them for the first time on Rasaay a few weeks back.
    It's funny Travs I haven't had much luck with Woodpeckers. Although not a twitcher I've been birdwatching for years. My parents even enrolled me in the YOC,remember that? It was the Young Ornithologist Club and you got a silver badge. I can honestly say that I have only ever seen about a dozen Woodpeckers over the years despite always being alert for any wildlife.

Kingfishers are a different story. I must have seen hundreds and hundreds of them. I have seen them catching fish and even saw two adults feeding a juvenile. Funny how seem to have missed out on Woodpeckers.

Funnily enough, i have, by exact opposite, never seen a Kingfisher...!

I'll readily admit i am not a great nature enthusiast... that is to say i do appreciate wildlife, but i don't seek it out.

In Skye i was hoping to see something noteworthy in the sky and something noteworthy in the sea... ideally a Golden Eagle, and either an otter or a Killer Whale... i think i was being very optimistic given the weather, and had to make do with some seals.

Super Moderator
    Kingfishers aren’t actually that rare. I’ve seen them by the Leeds-Liverpool canal so one on your canal jaunts ought to be possible Travs

As for your woodpeckers now is a great time to see but particularly hear them. We heard greater spotted hammering yesterday plus green ‘yaffling’ - think a kind of sarcastic laugh

Derby Tup I'm hearing a lot of them,like a machinegun or Keith Moon on speed.

Travs, I'd recommend a wildlife safari or tour next time you are on a Scottish island,if there is one. We did a tour on Mull and the guy was great. He knew where the Sea Otters and Eagles and other rare birds hung out. Well worth going on one.

Thank you William Clough.... I had been dead keen to get on a boat trip out to St Kilda.... but for some reason they weren't running trips 4 hours out into the North Atlantic in February...!

Spotted a Merlin on the moors above the Goyt Valley on Sunday evening. I only saw it after it took off from a drystone wall about 10yds away as I had approached from downwind. Fortunately it landed on another drystone wall about 50/60yds away across the clough and I was able to get the bino's on it to confirm it was a Merlin.

My best wildlife highlight since I saw a peregrine taking a pigeon mid-flight in the Elan valley last year.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Nice one. Now that's something I've never reliably seen - a merlin. I've probably seen one but never been able to say for definite. I've also never seen a goshawk or a shrike.

Yes Noel. I was very lucky. If it hadn't of landed on that second wall I would not have been sure as it was so quick in flight.

Whilst working on a friends gable end today I found a Mistle Thrush's nest with 4 beautiful eggs in the Wisteria.
    On returning home I noticed that the first beech leaves in my hedge have burst into life.