Page 370 of 459 FirstFirst ... 270320360368369370371372380420 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,700 of 4587

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Yes, the sparrowhawk is possible; some years ago I saw one dealing with a pigeon on a patch of grass by the roadside not far from here. But I assumed it was a fox because I have actually seen foxes in the garden.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Just got back from Eden valley and saw my first ever Polecat. Next day also saw a beautiful stoat at close range.

I went into my shed to fetch my bike and there was a sodding great big queen hornet crawling about on the handlebars.
    A hornet nest in my shed simply isn't going to work (we have already removed the starts of 8 ordinary wasp nests, which reminds me I've spotted another in the corner roof) so I sent her on the way with instructions to find somewhere more suitable.
    We have a lot of hornets here, becoming more common every year, there was a massive nest in a tree down the road last year.

Wasps (and maybe hornets too??) are supposedly very good for the garden. And important pollinators. It's just a shame you can't really have them in places where people need to be. It's a shame you can't just pick up their nests and move them somehow, like you can with bee hives. Then you could put them in the middle of crop fields to eat all the grubs. Maybe that's where I'll make my millions - free wasp nest removal, coupled with rent-a-nest for farmers.

We are very tolerant of the creatures, as you say they do a lot of good in gardens and countryside.
    But for some reasons they always choose the worst possible places to start building - always in our sheds which are used every day. We just knock off the little nests and hope the queen eventually takes the hint and moves on.

The hornets had a massive nest last year in a section of tree beside the road - just opposite the caravan site entrance, but I doubt anyone else ever noticed it. They were humming all summer, very strong. Unfortunately during the winter the rotten section of tree has fallen away and the nest no more - but they are not starting in my shed!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Whilst out walking today in a wood saw a couple of very recently fledged young Buzzard trying to workout how their wings worked. Didn't hang around as I had my dogs with me otherwise I'd still be there now!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

First pair of Swifts over the field near our house on Friday.

First cuckoo of the season for me on Saturday at Sharp Haw,near Skipton,don't seem to get them round Pendle any more,shame
    gedoff yer horse an drink yer miilk

A long eared owl in a small copse not far from Helwith Bridge, while out running last night.

That's what Stolly said eleven years ago to the day - and started this Today's Wildlife Encounter thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    A long eared owl in a small copse not far from Helwith Bridge, while out running last night.

That's what Stolly said eleven years ago to the day - and started this Today's Wildlife Encounter thread.
    Brilliant, I thought I recognised the quote.

Thanks Stolly, this is probably my favourite thread on the forum.

Oh yes, and come back - we miss you.