Page 373 of 457 FirstFirst ... 273323363371372373374375383423 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,730 of 4562

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Today's wildlife encountered . . . our patio window. Or at least I assume that was the reason for the dead pigeon on the deck. Anyway, I have moved it to the bottom of the garden, in the hope that the Pigeon Carcass Disposal Officer (alias Fox) will remove it.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Surprised to see that Swifts are still nesting in the Peak. Walking through Aston last night (on the way down from Win Hill) a Swift swooped over our heads and straight into a hole in the brickwork next to a bathroom waste pipe. It was quite amazing - it didn't appear to slow down at all!

Also, last Thursday, walking along the Dragon's Back from Hayfield there were millions of flies. Of course the Swifts were loving this - flying within a foot of my head as they tucked into their supper!

Super Moderator
    Big screaming party yesterday while I was stood outside a customers in Leicester (swifts, not me and the customers)

[QUOTE=GeoffB;652459]Surprised to see that Swifts are still nesting in the Peak. Walking through Aston last night (on the way down from Win Hill) a Swift swooped over our heads and straight into a hole in the brickwork next to a bathroom waste pipe. It was quite amazing - it didn't appear to slow down at all!

I know of three swifts nest in Over Haddon all of them in small holes in walls. I agree it is amazing watching them just disappear into the wall. My neighbour has recently, after going on a "swift walk", put up some swift nestboxes up so it will be interesting to see whether they use them in preference to the walls.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Less looking at the sky, more looking at the road, but I'm currently noticing much more the amount of roadkill about. Mainly because of Project Splatter - a citizen science project which is monitoring roadkill. You can log incidences of roadkill through app/their website so they can use the data. Apparently badgers are the most likely to be spotted (splatted?), though I've mainly seen rabbits this last week.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Less looking at the sky, more looking at the road, but I'm currently noticing much more the amount of roadkill about. Mainly because of Project Splatter - a citizen science project which is monitoring roadkill. You can log incidences of roadkill through app/their website so they can use the data. Apparently badgers are the most likely to be spotted (splatted?), though I've mainly seen rabbits this last week.
    Just thinking the same myself, maybe just cos I was travelling early morning for work a couple of times but spotted badgers, a young deer plus a couple of foxes this week

Driving back through the country roads north-west of Coventry I saw a “huge bird” fly out of the trees and towards me.

Not knowing a great deal about wildlife, I described it to my mum, who informed me that it was a buzzard. I was a little downhearted by that news as I understand they’re quite common...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Not a rare bird but not that common and quite majestic nonetheless. We have a couple on the Clent Hills which I see on a regular basis and always admire.
    Last edited by PeteS; 17-07-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Cycling down Mewith Lane above Bentham yesterday. Several items of roadkill, most notably a grey squirrel ... they are usually very agile.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Just made my first report to Project Splatter: badger on suburban road between home and town centre.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges