Page 379 of 457 FirstFirst ... 279329369377378379380381389429 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,790 of 4563

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Banned
    Won't be long before one of the Red Kites has the cat.

Last night, running beside a quarry on a narrow path I could see a rabbit to my right which had obviously got dazzled by my headtorch and proceeded to run straight into my right foot nearly tripping me up!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Saw the red squirrel again yesterday, right on the edge of the village in the woods, it ran past me about 10m away carrying a hazel nut. Unfortunately there's a couple of greys in the same area that are being beggars to trap, too much natural food about so they won't come to the bait. I need to take them out asap in case of spreading the squirrel pox to the red, always a concern if they happen to be pox carriers.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Several Fieldfare round the back of Kinder Res on Sunday - first of the year for us.

Last night driving on a single track road caught a glimpse, in my headlights, of a Barn Owl perched atop a fence post. Slammed on the anchors, backed up, and to my surprise it was still there. I sat adjacent to it and viewed it from around 20ft in the moonlight for about 8-10 seconds before it spread its wings and flew away. Beautiful. Even my 12yr old said "WOW".
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 16-10-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    A feral parakeet in Warley Woods.

Quietly having lunch looking out the window when a great big Sparrowhawk descended out of nowhere right into the middle of a pack of Pigeons who were relaxing on the garden floor. Scattered the pigeons, sending one flying head first into the conservatory window, but didn’t catch any.

Then it flew up onto the washing-line to have a think about it’s attack technique for a few seconds, spread his wings and flew off... he’ll be back, usually is on a bright day...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Quietly having lunch looking out the window when a great big Sparrowhawk descended out of nowhere right into the middle of a pack of Pigeons who were relaxing on the garden floor. Scattered the pigeons, sending one flying head first into the conservatory window, but didn’t catch any.

Then it flew up onto the washing-line to have a think about it’s attack technique for a few seconds, spread his wings and flew off... he’ll be back, usually is on a bright day...
    Good to see you getting into the wildlife Travs. Its good for you.

BTW pigeons tend to gather in flocks rather than packs but having said that I have never seen a Cov Pigeon!

Yesterday saw a couple of deer, one Stag and one I assume was the female... on the high flanks of Rest Dodd, so I assume residents of the Martindale Deer Forest...

Today a Red Squirrel ran out in front of my car between Haweswater and Bampton.

On the other side of Bampton I was startled by a bird of prey which flew out from a dry stone wall as I drove past... investigations would seem to indicate that it was a Buzzard... from close quarters it was quite impressive...

Out with the dogs this afternoon saw a large flock of starlings, the first I've seen this autumn. A nice surprise was a flock of about 50 Pink Footed Geese grazing in one of the fields. No doubt having a rest and refuel on their way to Norfolk.