Page 386 of 458 FirstFirst ... 286336376384385386387388396436 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,860 of 4578

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Nice. We had a similar toad experience on our family bike ride yesterday. Today's encounter was the first house martin of the year. And also a sparrow hawk, which came through the garden at waist height and deftly flew through a gap in the five bar gate. Masterful and menacing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I've waited over 20 years for the first sighting of a red kite over Monmouth. As I sat down on the patio for supper this evening one rose majestically from my garden! Huge birds and so distinctive from the crowds of buzzards that live around here. Well chuffed.
    Should that be “ chough”Ed. :-)
    How far are you from elan feeding station? 50 miles?
    It’s a massive population now, the sky goes black at feeding time.
    None to be seen an hour later.
    I’ve wondered where they get to.
    Last edited by Oracle; 11-04-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Nice. We had a similar toad experience on our family bike ride yesterday. Today's encounter was the first house martin of the year. And also a sparrow hawk, which came through the garden at waist height and deftly flew through a gap in the five bar gate. Masterful and menacing.
    Haven't seen our resident Sparrowhawk for several weeks... Which is a shame... He/she usually seems to come round when the weather's nice.

Eight curlews standing in a field next to the road part of our run today. They then took off and did their characteristic calls to give us the full experience.

Apart from the wildlife I see on my permitted exercise (and thank god I live in the country), I have been very much enjoying watching the Osprey nest at Clywedog Reservoir. Normally we visit it a lot, but this year they have installed a live camera feed to youtube. In your old neck of the woods Llani Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Apart from the wildlife I see on my permitted exercise (and thank god I live in the country), I have been very much enjoying watching the Osprey nest at Clywedog Reservoir. Normally we visit it a lot, but this year they have installed a live camera feed to youtube. In your old neck of the woods Llani Boy.
    Thanks for the heads up re the live feed MattPo. I've just had a look at it and it is fantastic. I was last up that way in February. Over the last few years spotting them has been made easier by the felling of mature trees.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

My old stomping ground too, remember watching them on the reservoir when fishing, I must have a look at the camera feed. The ospreys migrate up through the valley here in the spring and usually stop on our reservoir for a day on the way North, possibly even the Clywedog ones, it's not very far.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

We have a cottage up the road to Llanbrynmair - Llan and have been visiting the Dyfi ospreys for years, but it is a bit of a circus. Like seeing them from across the river from near Pennal. Found out about the Clywedog nest when I overheard a family talking about it whilst we were on a lakeside walk. Been going to see them a lot for the last 4 years. Lovely peaceful place. Glad they have got the live stream this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    We have a cottage up the road to Llanbrynmair - Llan and have been visiting the Dyfi ospreys for years, but it is a bit of a circus. Like seeing them from across the river from near Pennal. Found out about the Clywedog nest when I overheard a family talking about it whilst we were on a lakeside walk. Been going to see them a lot for the last 4 years. Lovely peaceful place. Glad they have got the live stream this year.
    It is a lovely spot and relatively remote and unknown. As good as the live stream is I hope it doesn't attract too many people,and cars,which as you know, MattPo, is mainly single track road with passing places.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

My toddle up over the top today and 3 peregrines were playing high overhead. Presuming a pair and an interloper in their territory.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.