Page 406 of 460 FirstFirst ... 306356396404405406407408416456 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,060 of 4596

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    Any recommendation?
    It's a Victure HC100. I think Mrs Noel researched it quite a bit, and it's well regarded by lots of people on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Wil.../dp/B07L9NRKP6
    I can confirm it's good for birds on a feeder, and works in the dark too - a few mice have been videoed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Strangely no. I was born in May. My parents wanted a name that was individual and couldn't be shortened. This after my mum was named Juliet (which she likes), but was then referred to as Julie (which she's less keen on) by everyone in her family and consequently then by my dad.

Being called Noel means I get more Christmas cards.
    Being the first?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Being the first?
    Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    It's a Victure HC100. I think Mrs Noel researched it quite a bit, and it's well regarded by lots of people on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Wil.../dp/B07L9NRKP6
    I can confirm it's good for birds on a feeder, and works in the dark too - a few mice have been videoed so far.
    Thanks Noel. Now you can shows videos of wildlife in you garden!
    Your camera is one of the less expensive, 42£. There are many at over 200£. I'd like to understand at what price I start paying for one that I can no longer justify. Like car, or smartphone, or anything...
    You know the difference between a cheap one and an expensive one?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    Thanks Noel. Now you can shows videos of wildlife in you garden!
    Your camera is one of the less expensive, 42£. There are many at over 200£. I'd like to understand at what price I start paying for one that I can no longer justify. Like car, or smartphone, or anything...
    You know the difference between a cheap one and an expensive one?
    Good question. No, I don't - sorry. I suspect the more expensive ones will have more functions available. I haven't felt the need to explore the various function on mine yet - it was reasonably plug-and-play.

Perhaps this explains my close encounter with a stag a week or so ago. They're so overcrowded that they need to roam further afield to try to get a bit of solitude.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...demand-plunges

Unmanaged wild deer herds could soon pose a threat to woodlands and important wildlife habitats in Britain because the commercial market for venison has collapsed during the pandemic.

Many in the game industry as well as conservationists fear too few deer are being culled to keep the estimated two-million-strong wild herd, the largest for 1,000 years, at a sustainable size.

[...]

Gareth Fisher, an RSPB ecologist, said excessive deer populations had a detrimental impact on the habitats of many birds, including nightingales, warblers and willow tits. “If you’ve got lots and lots of deer then you tend to get more uniform habitats where there are fewer niches for the other species,” he said. “That’s the big issue.”

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post
    Perhaps this explains my close encounter with a stag a week or so ago. They're so overcrowded that they need to roam further afield to try to get a bit of solitude.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...demand-plunges

Unmanaged wild deer herds could soon pose a threat to woodlands and important wildlife habitats in Britain because the commercial market for venison has collapsed during the pandemic.

Many in the game industry as well as conservationists fear too few deer are being culled to keep the estimated two-million-strong wild herd, the largest for 1,000 years, at a sustainable size.

[...]

Gareth Fisher, an RSPB ecologist, said excessive deer populations had a detrimental impact on the habitats of many birds, including nightingales, warblers and willow tits. “If you’ve got lots and lots of deer then you tend to get more uniform habitats where there are fewer niches for the other species,” he said. “That’s the big issue.”
    Easy to deal with this problem: lynx; wolves.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Easy to deal with this problem: lynx; wolves.
    I'm hoping there'll be lots of cheap venison in the local shops. (Although, apart from one supermarket trip per week, I'm not visiting the local shops so I suppose it won't matter.)

I thought I saw a Yellow Wagtail. I see plenty of Pied Wagtails but can't recall ever seeing a Yellow one. Checked it out and I probably saw a Grey Wagtail, which is also quite yellow, but doesn't migrate.
    Still it was a cute, eyecatching little thing bobbing around the brook that feeds in to the Roddlesworth Reservoir system.
    Last edited by Witton Park; 11-01-2021 at 09:10 AM.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Three red deer yesterday in the mist near Knotbury on my run/snowy stagger with Mrs Noel.