Page 415 of 457 FirstFirst ... 315365405413414415416417425 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,150 of 4562

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

My home working desk now overlooks the bird feeders. Which means I get to see the (largely inept) sparrow hawk trying to take the tits near the feeder. I also saw what I think might be a a meadow pipit. This falls into the category of small brown bird, but my book tells me all the other likely candidates (various warblers) haven't arrived yet.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    My home working desk now overlooks the bird feeders. Which means I get to see the (largely inept) sparrow hawk trying to take the tits near the feeder. I also saw what I think might be a a meadow pipit. This falls into the category of small brown bird, but my book tells me all the other likely candidates (various warblers) haven't arrived yet.
    Meadow Pipits = Mars Bars of the bird word (and Cuckoos love them too!).
    Am Yisrael Chai

We were woken up this morning by a scratching padding sound in the room at about 5am. A bit of tentative investigation revealed it to be a small bat. After trying to nudge it with a sock toward the open door, it took flight and did about 50 laps of the room before either finding its way out or finding somewhere to hide. Nice to see but a bit worrying for the bat and we're both a bit tired now.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Sunshine has brought out dozens of skylarks on the hill, lovely to see and here. Hundreds and hundreds of frogs in all the peat bogs - getting jiggy!
    I remember this post from almost a month ago and thinking you were a bit ahead of us. We're at about 250 metres in the Peak District.

Well I'm pleased to say our new pond (last years lock-down project) has its first batch of frogspawn in. We're so proud!

Congratulations, that will be a lot of mouths to feed!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

First Lapwings of the year seen on this mornings run near Magpie Mine. Walking down Lathkill Dale this afternoon spotted a Dippers nest, the are early nesters. Also a pair of Mandarins.

A slight concern is the number of male Mallards with out a female. I have noticed over the last few weeks that there are about 4 males to every female.

Is this the same in your neck of the woods?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    first flattened toad this yea,r on the road, and a large Bee
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    First Lapwings of the year seen on this mornings run near Magpie Mine. Walking down Lathkill Dale this afternoon spotted a Dippers nest, the are early nesters. Also a pair of Mandarins.

A slight concern is the number of male Mallards with out a female. I have noticed over the last few weeks that there are about 4 males to every female.

Is this the same in your neck of the woods?
    Mallard ducks could actually be nesting and starting to sit now, might account for their absence?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Mallard ducks could actually be nesting and starting to sit now, might account for their absence?
    I did think that Moley but its been a 4-1 ratio since January. Hopefully you're right and well have a bumper crop of ducklings to go AAAAAwwwww at!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

No wild animals to write home about on today's run... but a couple of fields full of Rams with their Lambs.

Which did startle me a bit, as those fields were empty a couple of weeks back... and having been ran out of town by a field full of sheep in St John's In The Vale many years back, i was watching my back.