Page 425 of 431 FirstFirst ... 325375415423424425426427 ... LastLast
Results 4,241 to 4,250 of 4302

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

It's strange but i had a regular sparrowhawk at the garden in Cov.... but i've yet to see any bird of prey at all in the Lakes yet (save for a buzzard above the car on the M6)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Saw what I believe, unless anyone else knows any better, was the first Black-tailed Skimmer dragonfly I've ever seen. It was on the ground, which apparently they do, on the path through a field of Staffordshire barley. Had my phone with me, so managed to get a photo but it's not up to Fellbeast's standard as I couldn't get within about 5m of it

Also saw, and got a lot closer to, what I think was a Common Blue Damselfly, which are both common and blue!

Just back from a bivvy out last might on the summit of Carrock Fell. after 'yomping' an approximation of the Old Crown Round (Mosedale start/fin). While waiting for the trickle of water to fill my water bottles, at the boggy areas on the south-east corner of the top, I was buzzed by a couple of these...

https://live.staticflickr.com/7598/2...152d06e5_b.jpg

They seemed really tame, landing on the cotton-grass and heather thereabouts. I think I've got the ID correct. Times like that when a mobile (with a camera) would have been handy!
    Eat more cake because life is shorter than you thi...

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Just back from a bivvy out last might on the summit of Carrock Fell. after 'yomping' an approximation of the Old Crown Round (Mosedale start/fin). While waiting for the trickle of water to fill my water bottles, at the boggy areas on the south-east corner of the top, I was buzzed by a couple of these...

They seemed really tame, landing on the cotton-grass and heather thereabouts. I think I've got the ID correct. Times like that when a mobile (with a camera) would have been handy!
    Looks to me, from the excellent photo you posted, like a female White-faced Darter, which like bogs and waterlogged areas. If correct they are very rare, and are on the endangered list

Looks to me, from the excellent photo you posted, like a female White-faced Darter, which like bogs and waterlogged areas. If correct they are very rare, and are on the endangered list
    Yes, I saw that in the description. I've never seen such as 'waspy' coloured dragonfly before either, which particularly caught my attention.

I've just emailed the Cumbrian Wildlife Trust to inquire as to whether it could possibly have been a w/f darter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Yes, I saw that in the description. I've never seen such as 'waspy' coloured dragonfly before either, which particularly caught my attention.

I've just emailed the Cumbrian Wildlife Trust to inquire as to whether it could possibly have been a w/f darter.
    In view of the fact they are on the endangered list, you might want to report it on the British Dragonfly Society's database, below. You don't need to be a member, just know where you were, (shouldn't be a problem for you!), and what you saw

https://british-dragonflies.org.uk/r...-your-records/

There's help on identifying what you saw if you have any doubts, and loads of great photos of course

Or register on iRecord to have it collated and checked by experts.
    https://www.brc.ac.uk/irecord/

A Skylark

I'm amazed...

In view of the fact they are on the endangered list, you might want to report it on the British Dragonfly Society's database, below. You don't need to be a member, just know where you were, (shouldn't be a problem for you!), and what you saw

https://british-dragonflies.org.uk/r...-your-records/

There's help on identifying what you saw if you have any doubts, and loads of great photos of course
    Cumbira Wild Life Trust replied... "I suspect the dragonflies you saw are more likely to be golden ringed dragonflies. One of our larger species, they breed in streams with gravel.
    White faces darters are astonishingly rare, only found at a handful of sites in England and have quite particular habitat requirements including deep acidic pools wit plenty of a particular species of Sphagnum moss."

Whatever, they were spectacular to observe.

Spotted a meadow brown butterfly this afternoon in East Staffordshire. Quite a common butterfly, and I had my camera with me. Lot easier than chasing dragonflies and hoping they'll settle!

A male Blue-tailed Damselfly on the edge of my mum's pond half an hour ago. Not the sharpest photo I've ever taken, but good enough to identify it