Page 433 of 459 FirstFirst ... 333383423431432433434435443 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,330 of 4582

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

A row of molehills have appeared on my neighbours lawn over the last few days so yesterday, for the first time in 18 months or so, I set three traps.

This morning, jackpot, a large boar mole easily identified by his large pink orbs. He was still warm which was nice as my hands were freezing!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

No comments about my orbs thank you 🙁
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

These nights I often walk (still injuried, can't run) in the forest near home. Occasionally I carry a headtorch. It's cool to see the eyes of all deer inhabiting the place. Never see so many in daytime. They look at me with a surprised face as if I was a very weird living being. Which is actually also what humans do!

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    A row of molehills have appeared on my neighbours lawn over the last few days so yesterday, for the first time in 18 months or so, I set three traps.

This morning, jackpot, a large boar mole easily identified by his large pink orbs. He was still warm which was nice as my hands were freezing!
    I've always wanted a pair of moleskin trousers.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I've always wanted a pair of moleskin trousers.
    You'd probably need to catch, skin and cure around 150 moles for a decent pair of trousers and that's if you could find someone to sew them all together.

I've got a pair of faux moleskin trousers, or did have as I've not seen them for a few years, but they are incredibly heavy and warm to wear and are ideal for any activity that allows you to stand still. ie marshalling at a Fell Race!

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    You'd probably need to catch, skin and cure around 150 moles for a decent pair of trousers and that's if you could find someone to sew them all together.

I've got a pair of faux moleskin trousers, or did have as I've not seen them for a few years, but they are incredibly heavy and warm to wear and are ideal for any activity that allows you to stand still. ie marshalling at a Fell Race!
    I grew up in a time when it was normal to trudge a field with a box of ferrets, and when you could walk the streets with a bagged rifle without getting armed coppers called on you. Seems such a far cry now, in today's world of gang shootings. Fair to say that all of us, in our fake Levi's, coveted a pair of proper pants.

A treecreeper creeping round the tree where the birdfeeders hang. We don't normally see them so close in the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    A treecreeper creeping round the tree where the birdfeeders hang. We don't normally see them so close in the garden.
    Sure it wasn't a Nuthatch?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Sure it wasn't a Nuthatch?
    Yes, although we often get them too. Yesterday we had the trio of tree creeper, nuthatch and great spotted woodpecker within a few minutes of each other. We've put some lard out and it's nice to see the woodpecker having a bit, then wiping the sides of her bill on the feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    We've put some lard out and it's nice to see the woodpecker having a bit, then wiping the sides of her bill on the feeder.
    Bugger.

I've just bought another tub of fatballs for the birds.

Even though years ago I used to make my own seeded fat and put it in coconut shells, I think I saw it on Blue Peter around 50yrs ago, I wish I had thought of just sticking a slab of lard in the feeder as it will be a lot cheaper.

Great idea Noel.