Page 440 of 460 FirstFirst ... 340390430438439440441442450 ... LastLast
Results 4,391 to 4,400 of 4596

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Little egret on a SUDS wetland not far from my home. [SUDS = Sustainable Urban Drainage System, the artificial wetlands seen near many modern housing developments.]. I have also recently seen a little egret in a stream close to a busy road in town.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Most early mornings for the last 5 years I have walked the Nature Reserve near our house in Otley and bordered on one side by the River Wharfe. I put bird food out and have my binoculars with me. This winter I have noticed more bullfinches than ever before. Last winter there were lots of dunnock, but not so frequent this year.

Todays highlight was watching a pair of treecreepers foraging all over a big tree. The first snowdrops are just showing their white heads - spring will come!

On Monday there were a pair of mistle thrushs darting round up a tree. I've never been very sure about identifying them before, but I got a great view and it was easy.

Monday evening whilst walking the dogs on the canal between Kildwick and Bradley we followed a kingfisher for about a quarter of a mile.

It was on the opposite side of the Cut and flew 50 or 60 yards before resting on a branch until we caught up

Never seen a single Kingfisher for so long or so clearly

As per FRA requirements perhaps I should have put the metric equivalents... check here

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I've seen fleeting glimpses of kingfishers but the only time I've managed to focus on one for any length of time was on a local run when I wasn't expecting see one. Between Romsley and Walton Hill there is a small stream which I cross frequently. I spotted the unmistakable blue out of the corner of my eye and sat and watched in wonder for a few minutes until it realised I was there and flew off. Never seen it since but a special sighting I've never forgotten.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Tonight's Winterwatch had some fantastic film of otters along with other wildlife.

This lot put in an appearance too!

Haglofs
    Rab
    Rossignol
    Sealskins
    Montane
    Jack Wolfskin
    Karrimor
    Mountain Equipment

So that's where my licence fee goes
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I've not seen it yet. I'll have to watch it on catch up.

I'm always amazed by how much good kit they have. It makes me wonder if they're getting free kit so they'll wear it on the telly.

As the Economist E.F.Schumacker said "Small is Beautiful"

Spent a long time this morning watching Britain's smallest bird as I walked the local Nature Reserve. A pair of Goldcrests busily working over a tree by the path. They are so active and not shy - a joy to watch. Then they were joined by a Treecreeper. All on a lovely sunny, frosty morning. It's good to be alive!

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I've not seen it yet. I'll have to watch it on catch up.

I'm always amazed by how much good kit they have. It makes me wonder if they're getting free kit so they'll wear it on the telly.
    I think it's called "Product Placement" and I'm sure them or the BBC don't have to pay for it. It may be why some of the stuff is so overpriced. They give so much of it away to Celebrities - who could afford to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    I think it's called "Product Placement" and I'm sure them or the BBC don't have to pay for it. It may be why some of the stuff is so overpriced. They give so much of it away to Celebrities - who could afford to pay for it.
    the person you need to ask is One Hill Wonder, she does work for the BEEB after all.