Page 441 of 459 FirstFirst ... 341391431439440441442443451 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,410 of 4587

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    I think it's called "Product Placement" and I'm sure them or the BBC don't have to pay for it. It may be why some of the stuff is so overpriced. They give so much of it away to Celebrities - who could afford to pay for it.
    So we're either paying for their coats through our licence fee and/or paying more for our coats so they can get them for free. I'm just glad they seem to be getting the benefit - it looked proper chilly on that first episode.

2 kites in my mums garden in Leeds. Not quick enough to get a picture but they often fly low over the house., they are more common than kestrels in the area.

I can't take chris packham seriously any more, not after he got involved with that group trying to ban farmers from shooting crows and magpies. It didn't suit his image at the time.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Saw a red admiral butterfly in the sunshine on the edge of the forestry. Was trying to get a photo of it with the snow but it wouldn’t settle.
    A first for January and sub zero temps!

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Tonight's Winterwatch had some fantastic film of otters along with other wildlife.

This lot put in an appearance too!

Haglofs
    Rab
    Rossignol
    Sealskins
    Montane
    Jack Wolfskin
    Karrimor
    Mountain Equipment

So that's where my licence fee goes
    Not seen them wearing clothing from my favorite supplier yet - Mountain Warehouse! Cheap and cheerful, and does the job. Perhaps it's so cheap because they don't donate lot's to the media.

Lots of Curlew up above Askwith in the Wharfe valley this afternoon. Nice

I believe I saw a Hummingbird Hawk Moth yesterday evening shortly before sunset.

In fact at first I thought it was an actual hummingbird due to the size. But a quick scan of Google told me that was incorrect as they appear to be confined to the Americas.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I believe I saw a Hummingbird Hawk Moth yesterday evening shortly before sunset.

In fact at first I thought it was an actual hummingbird due to the size. But a quick scan of Google told me that was incorrect as they appear to be confined to the Americas.
    Missus says very likely it was the Hawk Moth, a few of the hummingbird overwinter here if they can find shelter - like a greenhouse, barn, shed and come out in the spring warmth. They are normally a bit tatty (and hungry!) when they come out of hibernation, but I doubt it stayed still enough for you to inspect!

"When to see it
    June to August are the main months. Has been recorded in winter, and is known to hibernate, and therefore spring records may refer to overwintering individuals rather than new immigrants. Mainly diurnal, visiting Aubrietia, Buddleia, Viper's Bugloss, Red Valerian and various other plants."
    Last edited by molehill; 13-02-2023 at 01:37 PM.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Saw my first skylark of the year today, just to the north-west of Ticknall in the People's republic of South Derbyshire.

I'm fairly sure I heard one a couple of days ago in Whittington (Staffordshire), but this was a definite siting today as I saw it take off vertically, like a helicopter, whilst constantly making its chattering call.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    . . . in the People's republic of South Derbyshire.
    Which People in South Derbyshire? The posh ones in Calke Abbey and Repton School, or the ex-miners and pottery workers in Swadlincote?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges