Page 445 of 460 FirstFirst ... 345395435443444445446447455 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,450 of 4596

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

We keep finding frogspawn all over the place - on the drive, on the road. It's like Mrs frog was on the way to the pond, but couldn't keep it in any longer. We moved some into our pond - I'm not sure how it'll do.

On last nights RATRun, an hour before dusk, we had just got onto the Tissington Trail when we disturbed a Barn Owl. It flew ahead of us, never further than 60yds away, for nearly a mile to Rivendale. It stopped briefly a couple of times and perched on a wall and a post, before we got too close, and off it went again.

A fantastic 8 or 9 minutes and neither of the six of us had ever observed a Barn Owl at such close quarters for that length of time.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Fishing at Builth wells yesterday, the first swallow of the year took a drink from the pond and then went on its way.
    Came home to find the goshawk eating one of our chickens by the house. It flew onto the fence post 20 yards away and we glared at each other before a couple of crows bombed it away.
    It has now killed 2 ducks (including little Ericwho was everyone’s favourite) and a chicken in 2 weeks. No way of stopping the carnage.

The best sort of carnage to have though .

I drove down the A470, south of Builth Wells, last weekend for the first time in many years. I had forgotten how beautiful the River Wye is on that stretch.

A lovely day for spotting birds on the banks of the River Manifold. I'm no expert, but I managed to get my camera on some of them (I'm no expert at that either)

Here's a chaffinch on a feeding table

Three grey wagtails on the riverbank

And a treecreeper making its way up the tree. (I saw a nuthatch, too, but it was too quick fo me to get my camera on it.)

The Treecreeper is a great spot Marco.

A few of us are planning to run the length of The Manifold, from its confluence with the Dove to its rise near Flash, on Coronation Day. A scenic 23 miles which will hopefully be nice and quiet with everyone sat at home watching the telly!

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    The Treecreeper is a great spot Marco.

A few of us are planning to run the length of The Manifold, from its confluence with the Dove to its rise near Flash, on Coronation Day. A scenic 23 miles which will hopefully be nice and quiet with everyone sat at home watching the telly!
    The Manifold is a beautiful valley, (but don't tell everyone), that I first discovered on a school trip(!) in the late 1970s. Weather permitting it should be a great day, although I don't actually know where the Manifold rises - or if it's in an open access area - I await your detailed report!

Out for a walk with my wife recovering from the fabulous Guiseley Gallop race (faster than last year), and the spring flowers are really emerging now. First Bluebells, Stitchwort and Violets out here in Yorkshire. Friends say they have heard Willow warblers, but I'm still listening. Happy Easter forumites.

Pleased to see my first Blackcap of the year by the Wharfe in Otley this morning.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I interrupted my bike ride today to go for a short walk behind a hedge (you can guess why), and a hare bounded off across the field.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges