Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running boom.

Chris

Re: Running boom.

Late 70's to early eighties running became mass participation. There was a huge boom 1980 to 1985. In the 70's there were rare races with up to about 300 competitors (except for the National cross Country where there were always a thousand or so). There was a massive bias towards Marathon running in the early eighties when many thousands of people ran many Marathon races around the country. I don't think that will happen again.

I have never seen running as popular as it is now. It seems to be massive in every respect except at the very top of men's distance running. There are runners everywhere. I think it is a good thing even though it is inconvenient for those of us who can't be arsed to get a early entry in somewhere.

I am glad there are poorly supported races still preferably in places like South Wales and Scotland as these are some of my favorites. If !0,000 turned up for Pen Y Fan I doubt that one would break the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarine View Post
    Only heard yesterday that Jura had filled up; put my entry in a couple of weeks ago so not at all sure that I've got a place yet. . I'm sure it doesn't usually fill up so early does it?
    The list of successful entrants for 2007 Jura is here

KEITH
    (Jura Fell Race webmaster)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I am glad there are poorly supported races still preferably in places like South Wales and Scotland as these are some of my favorites. If !0,000 turned up for Pen Y Fan I doubt that one would break the record.
    I'm glad there are poorly supported races, too, Chris. I definitely prefer the small, quiet races to popular, mass-entry, "classic" ones.
    There must be some kind of paradox there, because if everyone felt like that, the low-entry races would all become crowded. But I can't see that happening, so that's fine by me!

Perhaps some of the bigger races like Jura, Borrowdale and Ennerdale. Should have entry criteria like the 3 peaks where participants must have done some of the bigger races throughout the year.

That way people will not pre enter early havign never done an event like this in the hope that they will get fit. Then when the time comes realise its harder than they thought (if thats the case) and just not turn up. Meaning others having to miss out.

All this being said I'm gonna have to get my skates on for Edale after a january full of illness and running very little.

david

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    I'm glad there are poorly supported races, too, Chris. I definitely prefer the small, quiet races to popular, mass-entry, "classic" ones.
    That's 3 of us then. We'd better keep it quiet or they'll get too popular .

Talking Re: Running boom.

Walshes would be better Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarine View Post
    Walshes would be better Jamie.
    Don't know - it could be icy.

Wore Swoops last year they where fanstastic all the way round, till the run in off ringing roger. I was very scared at that point, skates would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    Perhaps some of the bigger races like Jura, Borrowdale and Ennerdale. Should have entry criteria like the 3 peaks where participants must have done some of the bigger races throughout the year.
    Jura doesn't have a big field - as far as I remember, the limit is set pretty low which is probably why it's full. And I'm pretty sure that they vet entries too - I know I would if I was organising a race over that kind of terrain.

Probably disallow Swoop owners though ...

One day I'll go back ...

One day I may go to Jura