Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roaches 15 miles

novice

Roaches 15 miles

Does anyone have the route of this race?

Re: Roaches 15 miles

Course Details: Follows fields via Frith Bottom to Roach House. Through marked route on private land to road. To Roaches via Rockhall, follow ridge to Trig point and continue to Roach End. Follow path down to Gradbach Forest, and continue on lower track towards Youth Hostel. Ford river 150 metres downstream of Foot Bridge at GR 989657. Climb to road at Helmseley Farm over private land, marked route. Continue to join track at Tagsclough hill and follow track to A54 road, cross with care and follow footpaths through fields to the Crag Inn in Wildboarclough. Climb to Shutlingsloe. Return on same route to finish at Village Hall

If you are training in this area why not try the 5 Trigs Challenge. See the Staffs Moorlands AC forum.

Link http://staffsmoorlandsacseniormen.fr...go-at-t41.html

Gritstone Tryal Anytime Challenge

A fellow Moorlander has devised a new challenge based on the Gritstone Tryal formula.
    Starting and finishing at the Cat & Fiddle pub, visit 5 trig points,navigating your own route between them using open access land and public rights of way.

Start Cat & Fiddle SK001719
    Trig 1 Shutlingsloe 976696
    Trig 2 Roaches 001639
    Trig 3 Axe Edge 035706
    Trig 4 Burbage Edge 029732
    Trig 5 Shining Tor 994738
    Finish Cat & Fiddle 001 719

The route is aprox. 20 miles with 3500' ascent. Makes it a good training day for mountain marathons, Bob Graham attempts, long fell races etc. Or just a nice day out with a few beers afterwards.
    So far there have been 10 completions. Walked in 7hrs 29 mins. Jog/walk pace in 4hrs 55mins. Record currently stands at 3hrs 58mins. Its there to be beaten.

Most attempts have been anti clock, but Den n I went clockwise in very wild weather and took 5hrs. ( Ladies record )

Please report any attempts on here or SMAC forum

novice

Thanks Moorlander for the route desc. Think Ill give the trig challenge a miss for know!

Hello! I've misplaced my FRA calendar (still hunting for it) - can anyone let me have the date for Roaches race 2008 please? Ta.

November 9.

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    Hello! I've misplaced my FRA calendar (still hunting for it) - can anyone let me have the date for Roaches race 2008 please? Ta.
    Six days before the Tour of Pendle - give it a miss!

My memories of last year:

Course Details: Follows fields through six foot deep cow shit via blah blah blah. Climb to Shutlingsloe. Return on same route via fields full of cow shit to finish at Village Hall and a desperate search for a stream to clear off cow shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Six days before the Tour of Pendle - give it a miss!
    Really? I was going to give it a go as prep for TOP & Tanky's and miss out the Snowdonia marathon this year...

Quote Originally Posted by RichK View Post
    My memories of last year:

Course Details: Follows fields through six foot deep cow shit via blah blah blah. Climb to Shutlingsloe. Return on same route via fields full of cow shit to finish at Village Hall and a desperate search for a stream to clear off cow shit.
    Ran it 3 years ago and on an unseasonally warm November day. Memory one was seeing Shutlingsloe from the top of the Roaches and thinking "crikey, we're not going there are we?". Memory two is suffering from thirst towards the return climb onto the Roaches...

Again, again!!

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    Ran it 3 years ago and on an unseasonally warm November day. Memory one was seeing Shutlingsloe from the top of the Roaches and thinking "crikey, we're not going there are we?". Memory two is suffering from thirst towards the return climb onto the Roaches...

Again, again!!
    So the memory of the swimming pool of slurry in the farmyard near the start has been obliterated then???

It has left an indelible mark on my memory, I can tell you!!!
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge