Thread: New Runner - Leeds

New Runner - Leeds

I've just started running recently and did the Ilkely trail race on Sunday. I really enjoyed it and want to do more. I'm sort of trying out Horsforth Fellandale at the moment as a possible club to join, but wondered if anyone had any info on Abbey Runners or any other clubs from a fell/off road point of view. I'm based in Moortown. Fellandale are great but don't seem to be that organised in terms of racing or transport for races. Could do with a bit of support to get me going...
    ________
    MOPAR
    Last edited by randomcaller; 16-05-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Re: New Runner - Leeds

Hi Ramdomcaller
    You could try my club Skyrac AC @ Nunroyd Park Guiseley. We have a h/cap and are always looking for new people all details on our web site follow links on FRA site

Quote Originally Posted by randomcaller View Post
    I've just started running recently and did the Ilkely trail race on Sunday. I really enjoyed it and want to do more. I'm sort of trying out Horsforth Fellandale at the moment as a possible club to join, but wondered if anyone had any info on Abbey Runners or any other clubs from a fell/off road point of view. I'm based in Moortown. Fellandale are great but don't seem to be that organised in terms of racing or transport for races. Could do with a bit of support to get me going...
    Hi randomcaller, as a Fellandale member (we may have met briefly about 5 weeks ago on Chevin?) who rarely gets training with them these days, I fully understand your concerns about being organised for racing etc - as mentioned on the Ilkley Trail Race thread, despite my email reminder to members there were no Fellandalers there which was a shame but people have their reasons for racing or otherwise - injuries/other commitments (family) etc.

I won't promote other clubs except to say forumites, Leeds Rhino runs for Abbey, while AJF runs for Valley Striders - over to them....

Don't get me wrong, i'm really enjoying running with fellandale. The Chevin is a great training place and the people there are nice, but I also need a bit of a push with racing etc. It's quite hard to get going and find your feet...
    ________
    UNIVERSAL HEALTH
    Last edited by randomcaller; 16-05-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Compass View Post
    Hi Ramdomcaller
    You could try my club Skyrac AC @ Nunroyd Park Guiseley. We have a h/cap and are always looking for new people all details on our web site follow links on FRA site
    I've had a quick look at your site. Can you tell me a bit more about your training? It's just there seems to be a lot of reference to 7 minute miles...a little beyond me at the moment me thinks...especially considering my 72 minute finish at Ilkley...
    ________
    Meth Rehab Forums
    Last edited by randomcaller; 16-05-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by randomcaller View Post
    I've had a quick look at your site. Can you tell me a bit more about your training? It's just there seems to be a lot of reference to 7 minute miles...a little beyond me at the moment me thinks...especially considering my 72 minute finish at Ilkley...
    I can't imagine 7 minute miles applying to fell races. My 3 peaks time worked out at almost 11 minute miles and ditto the shorter Fairfield a couple of weeks ago. Fell racing is much harder than flat road racing with only the uber elite usually getting anywhere near 7 minute miles.

7minute miles , no, have a look at the fell h/cap results on the web site, you won't see any times like that,Ilkley race times range from 47 minutes to 76 minutes for a 5 mile race that's best man at over 9 minutes/mile

Times I have quoted are for the fell race not the trail