Thread: Hill running near Leek

Hill running near Leek

I am off to a place called Rushton Spencer this weekend (nr Leek) in the Peak District.

I am hoping to get some a session of 5x5 min fairly steep hill reps done on Sat and a 2hr run in the hills on Sun.

Can anyone who knows the area advise me on where I should go?

Cheers

Re: Hill running near Leek

If it's hill reps you want, try Shutlingsloe - just a few miles NE of Rushton Spencer. Did the Shutlingsloe race on Monday (straight up and down from Crag Hall) - it was one mean hill.

Failing that, Noel is a local - so I'm sure he'll be along soon enough to give you some advice.

I agree, Shutlingsloe is the best hill in the area for reps. If you drive through Wildboarclough there's a free car park called Clough House (I think).

For a long hilly run, I'll describe one of my favourites:

If you start at the same place, you could go up whetstone ridge, then rightwards and across the A54 down to 3 Shires Head (very picturesque), then down into the Dane valley, past Gradbach Youth Hostel and up the other side to Roach End. Depending on how far you want to run before heading back over the hill to Wildboarclough, you could also go rightwards from Roach End along the ridge towards Hangingstone before coming back down through back forest and then going over the hill to get back into Wildboarclough.

Let me know if you need any more specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
    I am off to a place called Rushton Spencer this weekend (nr Leek) in the Peak District.

I am hoping to get some a session of 5x5 min fairly steep hill reps done on Sat and a 2hr run in the hills on Sun.

Can anyone who knows the area advise me on where I should go?

Cheers
    I'd agree that the SE side of Shutlingsloe above Wildboarclough is the steepest thing around there.

For a 2hr run I'd go from Dane Bridge through the wood to Hanging Stone, along the ridge over Back Forest to the top of The Roaches. Back down to Roach End, drop down to Gradbach and climb over Tagsclough Hill to Wildboarclough. Straight up Shutlingsloe, then SW over the access land, pick up a track then turn south over a stile down to halfway along the track to Higher Nabbs. A mile of road takes you south to Allmeadows and you can follow a ROW back along the Dane. I did this a year or so back. You can probably do this from Rushton Spenser itself following the path along the River Dane but I've never followed that path.

Thanks you all for the excellent advice. I have checked the routes out and they look great.

Thanks!

novice

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I'd agree that the SE side of Shutlingsloe above Wildboarclough is the steepest thing around there.

For a 2hr run I'd go from Dane Bridge through the wood to Hanging Stone, along the ridge over Back Forest to the top of The Roaches. Back down to Roach End, drop down to Gradbach and climb over Tagsclough Hill to Wildboarclough. Straight up Shutlingsloe, then SW over the access land, pick up a track then turn south over a stile down to halfway along the track to Higher Nabbs. A mile of road takes you south to Allmeadows and you can follow a ROW back along the Dane. I did this a year or so back. You can probably do this from Rushton Spenser itself following the path along the River Dane but I've never followed that path.

How far do you think this route is?

A detour off the Dane valley path though Ludds Church would be very worthwhile.

Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Ended up having to run from Rushton via Dane Valley and Back Forest (and Ludds Church) to Roach End. Involved the fording of one 'river'. 13.2 miles on GPS. Excellent fun. Thanks all for the advice.