Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Illiotibial Band Syndrome ITBS

Re: ITB Syndrome?

Well I have eventually been so see my NHS physio (a runner from OtleyAC) and it transpires that I don't have ITB at all, but he couldn't put his finger on exactly what it was. Most likely explanation is a 'pinch' of the 'mesh' that holds all the knee gubbins in place. Unfortunatley my short runs to maintain a little fitness seem to have exacerbated the problem. I have been advised to take another 4 weeks off doing nothing! ahhhhhhh.

Oh well. at least he said that it was probably nothing serious and hopefully next time I see him the problem will have healed.
    Adam Speed
    P&B

All of your post makes sense to me Zephyr, thanks. I've been suffering from ITB problems for 7 weeks now. I've seen both a private physio who gave me massage and ultrasound and an NHS physio who gave me a rubber band to do exercises with. I've been using a foam roller and doing the advised stretches, got an ITB strap and also changed my shoes and also got some custom made insoles. I stopped running for 3 weeks but it made no difference to be honest, so I ran an off road marathon which involved lots of stopping and stretching! :w00t:
    Now I've done a few (one 2 to 5 mile run per week!!!!!) very small runs over the last few weeks but it still hurts! I'm just so impatient! I've not been given any advice on how long to stop running for???
    On a positive though, I've joined a gym and it doesn't hurt to cycle, crosstrain and stairclimb! Oh but it's just not the same! :angry:

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    right, lets see if it works this time (just posted and it didnt like it)

Bit of a bummer getting ITBS straight after plantar fasciitis- though you did mention that you havent changed your shoes... that might be an issue

ITB syndrome is generally caused by the piriformis (and 5 other deep lateral rotators) not doing their job properly. Because they arent pulling their weight, the ITB kicks in and literally tries to hold the leg and hip in the right place as you run. so a tendonous band is trying to do the same job as 6 muscles should be.
    hence why it hurts so much.
    (there are other issues involved, but thats the easiest to explain on here).

As the other guys are saying, Physio or massage is the way forward. Foam rollering is good, but you need to also look at piriformis and the tfl (not transport for london, but tensor fascia latae- the muscle that actually attaches to the ITB)
    Have to say I hate massaging ITBs as I know how damn freaking painful it is- but sometimes it has to be done.
    if a physio just does that and doesnt look at the surrounding issues, really, you should be going to a different physio as they are dealing only with the symptom, not the cause.

It may be that you need new shoe, it may be that you need to stretch out some, and strengthen other muscles around your hips, and you may well need a massage.
    If you're near Glossop area I might be able to help, if not- find another decent therapist near you. You only really get one body to mess around with.
    Last edited by Mountain Goatess; 07-11-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Ooooh, advice on how long to stop running for... how long is a piece of string.
    The issue is, whatever your hip/leg is doing on a day to day basis, 24hrs a day, 168 hours a week, it is following a sub-optimal movement pattern, and hence is causing you pain. What you can do with the foam roller, and exercises is strengthen muscles which are meant to be working, and loosen off others which are not meant to be so tight and restore balance to the hip area both in rest and in movement. As it get stronger it will mean that the hip/leg will become less sub-optimal, and more efficient in its movement pattern, and at that point you will be (theoretically) running pain free.

however, if a runner was to just keep running on a leg with a disrupted movement pattern, its just going to continue getting worse- the issue is already there, and the more you run on it, the more the incorrect movement pattern will be re-inforced into your neurones and also the fascia, and pain will result. Generally speaking it appears to be an issue that you can't just run through, rest helps immensely, but beware of going back to the same old patterns (hence why when some people have had ITBS, despite rest, it keeps coming back) but strengthening the Glutes and deep rotators (butt muscles), along with a bit of intelligent rest from LONG runs should see you back on the hill in just a few weeks.
    (again, theoretically, but then, as I mentioned, how long is a piece of string, every body is different)
    Hope that helps...

I thought you might say that Zephr!!! Thanks very much for your reply though, it all makes sense. I guess I am just going to have to see how things go and not make any plans in the meantime. I'm exercising those glutes as we speak....ahhhh the mutlitasking capabilities of womankind!

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    Ooooh, advice on how long to stop running for... how long is a piece of string.
    The issue is, whatever your hip/leg is doing on a day to day basis, 24hrs a day, 168 hours a week, it is following a sub-optimal movement pattern, and hence is causing you pain. What you can do with the foam roller, and exercises is strengthen muscles which are meant to be working, and loosen off others which are not meant to be so tight and restore balance to the hip area both in rest and in movement. As it get stronger it will mean that the hip/leg will become less sub-optimal, and more efficient in its movement pattern, and at that point you will be (theoretically) running pain free.

however, if a runner was to just keep running on a leg with a disrupted movement pattern, its just going to continue getting worse- the issue is already there, and the more you run on it, the more the incorrect movement pattern will be re-inforced into your neurones and also the fascia, and pain will result. Generally speaking it appears to be an issue that you can't just run through, rest helps immensely, but beware of going back to the same old patterns (hence why when some people have had ITBS, despite rest, it keeps coming back) but strengthening the Glutes and deep rotators (butt muscles), along with a bit of intelligent rest from LONG runs should see you back on the hill in just a few weeks.
    (again, theoretically, but then, as I mentioned, how long is a piece of string, every body is different)
    Hope that helps...
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Reposted in own thread. Sorry
    Last edited by The devil's own; 21-11-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: moved to own thread
    "That was the night everything changed"