Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Illiotibial Band Syndrome ITBS

Illiotibial Band Syndrome ITBS

Just had a debate with a running colleague and we couldn't decide which was a potential contributor to ITBS. We'd both read it somewhere that wearing the wrong shoes contributed but which combination?

Is it that a neutral-footfall runner wearing pronation control shoes risks ITBS?

OR

Is it that a pronating-footfall runner wearing neutral shoes risks ITBS?

Neither of us fancied experimenting by wearing the wrong shoes!!

Re: Illiotibial Band Syndrome

I've suffered of ITBS for almost one year. During that time I read I think all existing literature on it. It is very well established that too much pronation (overpronator wearing neutral shoes) is often a cause of ITBS.

Many also argue that also too pronation could cause it, but this seems not to have general consensus. If true, not obvious to me why.

Have suffered from it for years- I over pronate. It is a pain of an injury, which I have found has led to other problems. I have bad bio-mechanics and have to run in stabilituy shoes which tent to sort the problem out.

Many different causes not just poor biomechanics but can't be bothered to go into them just now

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

I had problems when I whacked my hip whilst negotiating one of those chicane type barriers to stop bicycles tearing across busy roads.

It took loads of stretching to get rid of & I still do the stretching now to keep it at bay.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Itb

I know this has been covered before, but I think it might have been on the old forum.

People where talking about using foam rolls to help stretch the ITB?

Also any good stretches for it would be good.

Cheers

Red face Re: Itb

Stand up straight, cross legs, bad behind good then lean down and to the opposite side of your bad leg. e.g right behind left leg, lean down and left until you feel the strech down right leg.

Other is sit down. Cradle bad leg like holding a baby and pull towards you. Also rock over your arse bone seems to help a bit too.

Sit down, legs out straight. Bring bad knee up and over the good leg and twist core to opposite side whilst pushing your elbow on leg. e.g put right leg over the left leg. Right knee bent. Turn to your right, put left elbow on right knee and push.

Another, sit at your desk at work. Cross your legs so the ankle of bad leg is on top of leg of good leg. Now push down on bad leg until you can fit it under the table. Jam it under and leave as long as is bearable. (probably not one you will find on the internet but worked for my left leg )

Any others that people have I would love to know. My descriptions are a bit vague but I reckon you can get the idea?

Also, if you have itbs on one leg and not the other, make sure that you stretch both legs. I didn't and managed to cure left only for it to re-appear in the right. Doh!!

Re: Itb

The ITB is a complex structure with attachments to bone and blending in with muscles particularly around you backside.

To effectively stretch your ITB you need to be stretching the surrounding structures also.

You should bare in mind that the ITB has a tensile strength higher than steel which when you think your average climbing Carrabina has a breaking strain of 14+KN you are talking some serious strength so stretching the ITB in isolation is futile if you ask me. ITBS and the ITB is one of my areas of special interest within Physio so like to think I know a little but by all means not everything its also something I have problems with from time to time mainly because I don't follow my own advise.

My way of stretching the ITB would be looking at addressing hip, knee and calf muscles along with isolated myofascial release which is essentially what you are doing with the ITB rollers or tennis balls.

I don't believe that the straps that some companies sell to "solve" ITBS would work due to the compressive forces it puts on the band thereby in effect shortening it and making it rub more either at the knee or around the hip.

I'll devide the stretches into different sections and other advise etc.

First stage in an acute flair up of ITB pain you need to be looking at settling down any accute inflammatory changes this would include your normal Ice and anti inflammatorys either in tablet or gels I wasn't a fan of gels till I tried them recently.

Onto the stretches

Stretching of the Glutes is in my oppinion one of the most important areas.
    As well as piriformis

My favorite piriformis stretch

Continued in the next thread

Next area of focus is the Quads

With the above quad stretch the aim is to keep your pelvis flat to the floor it doesn't matter if your foot doesn't touch your bum

The above stretch can also be varied to stretch out the ITB. If you use your bottom foot it is possible to put pressure onto the upper leg increasing the stretch.
    The other way is in standing with your knee on a chair whilst doing a traditional quad stretch the move your hips over in the direction of the knee on the chair. There should be more stretch felt at the knee end of the ITB.

Another traditional stretch.

The purpose of using a roller or tennis ball is really to perform a deep massage on the ITB. My prefered method is to use a tennis ball and starting at the hip end of the ITB and lie on your side with pressure through the ball. Gradually work your way down the leg with the ball. Apply as much pressure through the ball as you feel comfortable and leave for approx 10 seconds what you should find is the pressure appears to get less put more pressue through and repeat two to four times. The other way is to roll up and down the ball which will provide more of a frictional massage which in theory will help stretch the ITB.

I'll see if I can find a the stretch pictures I used for my dissertation anywhere when I get some time after training tonight. Hope this all amkes sense I know its probably abit OTT but I feel that if its going to be stretched it might as well be throrough

Cheers for that plenty to be going at there.