Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Illiotibial Band Syndrome ITBS

Re: Itb

I'm doing all these stretching and I'm still struggling like hell.

How much are you running at the moment?

I know its not ideal but you may need to rest it then gradually build up again. Its taken me over 4 months to be confident with mine after my last bout.

I had to rest for a month then gradually build up. Everytime I felt my knee starting to even feel as if the sensation of the pain was about to start I'd stop running and walk back. I'm now back to full training except my calf has pulled so not because of that. The reason for stopping is if you carry on you end up causing more irritation. The more irritation you create the worse the problem becomes

Other things that might be worth a try are anti inflammatory gels over the area of pain or Ice. My method of icing would be to get one of them polystyrene cup jobbies fill with Water and stick it in the freezer. When frozen peel back the poly to reveal the ice then rub directly onto the area for a maximum of 5-10 mins. Be warned Ice can leave a nice burn if you keep it still. Repeat as and when but no more than once an hour.

Just keep going with everything. ITB probs are a right bummer to shift

It takes quite some time. As it is the IT band and not the muscle it takes a lot more to actually stretch and make a difference. Stretch it whenever you can not just after running. If sat on couch try to stretch it with one leg on other knee. If waiting for the kettle put bad leg behind good and stretch. Basically just keep at it and you will notice an improvement.

Once it doesn't hurt any more, keep stretching, stretch some more then some more.

Again don't do the stupid thing like me and only stretch one side. Do both as it will just transfer to the other knee.

Think the explanation of the IT band being as strong as steel by detritus21 shows how long it will take.

Good luck with it! Really takes some perserverance to shift it.

There's always the option of an ITB release if the problem doesn't shift or reoccurs - the band would have several incisions made into it to 'free-up' the affected area, but that would be a surgical matter for an orthopaedic referral, and a last resort I guess.

However, there must be an underlying issue such as poor pelvic/hip/knee/ankle control during your gait/running causing the ITBS over a long period of time until one day you notice pain. You need assessing by a physio who knows what they're looking for, as unless the underlying cause is identified and addressed (such as poor hip control for one of many examples), you can treat the symptoms all day long but you'll always have the problem re-occur-you'll just be papering over the cracks!!

Check out the following for a list of causes http://www.time-to-run.com/injuries/thebig5/itb.htm

Just been on a course and the tutor mentioned one of his aussie female tri-athletes had a release six-weeks before taking silver at Athens, impressive!

Good luck
    Last edited by Physio Ian; 20-09-2007 at 01:14 PM.
    No pain no gain...if still no gain try more painkillers!

Hopey,
    Duncan fixed my ITB. Stretching and strenghtening gluteus and quads does the trick for me. I'm still doing them more than one year after they solved it.
    Good luck.

detritus21 I'm running for 20-30mins every other night, but I think I've been doing to much.

The place where I'm getting pain is just above the ankle spreading into my ankle on the outside of my left leg. After every run I ice the affected area which seems to help. But I'm not patient and I want to be out running.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago in my right leg and it kept me out for 6 months.

Ian the problem comes from my pelvis, as do all my injuries!! Last year when I was injured I went to Duncan Masons core stability classes and they did seem to help, but with one thing and another I've not been doing the excerises!!

Maybe it's time to work on the core stability!

Did you mean knee or ankle hopey if its ankle it ain't ITB

It's the outside of the leg leading from the knee down to the ankle?

I was told that stretching the IT band that it would sort it?

Where abouts does the pain start and where exactly does it run then I might be able to hazard a guess more as to what it is. ITB stuff you'd expect to affect the outside of the knee most commonly and occasionally your hip. What does the pain feel like and when does it seem to affect your most?

Are then any foot movements that seem to make the pain worse like pulling your feet up or pushing them out like you are trying to point the soles of your feet away from each other?