Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BG - But Which Is The Summit?

Re: BG - But Which Is The Summ

I saw Heather early on in her round, as I was going in the opposite direction beneath Yewbarrow. Fantastic time. I was a little slower in 22:46 but feeling rather pleased with myself at the moment

Hi Marvin,

Not sure on your map, but just checked on me old OS outdoor Leisure NW sheet and there actually is a Trig Point marked exactly on the boundary which I assume will be the fence line.

My route to it from Brandreth......stay to right side of fence (grass all the way about 5 -10 mtrs from fence).
    When you reach ponds get right next to fence and use 3 or 4 stepping stones, keep going about another 100 mtrs and a rocky ridge should be just ahead of you, still to the right of fence. I keep slightly right of (on a faint grassy trod) this false summit and the cairn is on top another rocky ridge just after this.

I've been reccie-ing last few weeks and this is my quickest way to the "top" Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    Grey Knotts

I think the summit (highest point) is the eastern most small cairn which sits atop a small rocky ridge very close to the fence...
    Actually I took some intricate surveying equipment up there & discovered it was a point 100m NE of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Breath View Post
    I saw Heather early on in her round, as I was going in the opposite direction beneath Yewbarrow. Fantastic time. I was a little slower in 22:46 but feeling rather pleased with myself at the moment
    Well done to Heather & Dog Breath - fantastic effort on a pretty hot day. (All I could manage was a trot round the Duddon race, and that was far enough in those conditions).

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Actually I took some intricate surveying equipment up there & discovered it was a point 100m NE of this.
    Ok, I made that bit up. I agree with Nee Bother - small cairn on top of the rocky ridge. Not sure if that is Marvin's 3 or 4 - probably 3 I would guess.

I bet Daz is getting really stressed about this - he's such a worrier!!!!

[QUOTE=GeoffB;132867] Not sure if that is Marvin's 3 or 4 - probably 3 I would guess.

Yup, I wasn't sure it was any of these but certainly nearer 3
    Was the map from Memory Map or similar

Hope the Master will make it that far next Saturday to keep me right

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Ok, I made that bit up. I agree with Nee Bother - small cairn on top of the rocky ridge. Not sure if that is Marvin's 3 or 4 - probably 3 I would guess.

I bet Daz is getting really stressed about this - he's such a worrier!!!!
    No, it's me that's getting stressed about it! I do like to do things "correctly".

The fence line is shown with fine black dashes - it's clearer on the Harvey's map, but I won't complicate things more by attaching an image of that. 3 is on the left of the fence, and 4 is on the right as you come from Brandreth, so I guess NB's top is 4.

The image was a screen shot from the 1:25,000 OS map on TrackLogs, but I do 1:25,000 Harvey's on Anquet too. Quick comparison - I prefer Harvey's map, but TrackLogs software (even though it crashes a lot) which is unfortunate.

NB, are you going for a BG this coming weekend then?
    Last edited by Marvin; 01-06-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    The fence line is shown with fine black dashes - it's clearer on the Harvey's map,

The black dashes are surely a footpath, which i think is why it doesn't quite tie in with my thinking
    The trig point on OS NW is spot on gr219126 tho'

NB, are you going for a BG this coming weekend then?
    I'm helping out on an attempt this weekend on this leg, when is your round

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    You must be brimming with confidence after all you've been doing this year.
    I know I'm fitter than last year but it wasn't my that that let me down

I've done loads more training inc missing a few races so i can do longer hillier stuff but still in the back of my mind.... .If all goes well I will do it

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    Hope the Master will make it that far next Saturday to keep me right
    Fingers crossed I'll be there NB but im guessing you havent heard the stories about my navigation techniques if you hope im going to keep you right

Planning to do legs 3, 4 and 5 at moment as my last long day out....physio is going to batter my calf tomorrow morning and then stick some needles in it then i'll rest it till friday and see if it grows back