Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Asthma

Re: Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    Is the spacer used for all inhalers or does it just come with each inhaler and have a 1 inhaler life span.

Thanks
    I use my spacer (The Aerochamber) for both inhalers and as long as you rinse them out every now and then they last for ever. I'm off to see the asthma nurse next week for a review so will take my power breather along and see what she says about it ... I was not aware that they shoud not be used if you're asthmatic.

One other thing I forgot to mention. A few years ago my (now) wife and I took an eight month round the world trip from USA across to Hawaii, Fiji, NZ, OZ and SE Asia. I ran regularly and also snowboarded, hiked on glaciers and in mountains, mountain biked, swam, surfed, etc, etc. In all that time I never once needed an inhaler or got even the mildest symptoms. What air are we breathing in the UK I wonder?

Ran with my buff covering my nose and mouth tonight, this felt great at easy pace. I upped the pace and it worked fine breathing wise. Thing is every deep breath I took I was sucking my buff in. It also got rather soggy and awkward.

But all in all it kept my breathing okay, and I only used my inhaler before I went running. Not during and after as it has been recently. Definately the cold air thats doing me in.

If it gets me round winter hill on sunday, then look out for a man with just peep hole for his eyes.

Thumbs up Re: Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    i thought you wern't supposed to use the power breathe if you were ashmatic?

I checked the booklet last night and it's fine to use if you have asthma.

Sorry to Bring this thread up again.

Is anyone still suffering due to the cold weather. I had another shocking run tonight. Again its the 20 minute mark and my breathing just goes shallow and uncontollable, my inhaler did not help much so I just turned it around and went home.

I have an appointment with the asthma nurse on Friday again. Perhaps I need stronger meds through winter. I defo having flu jab next winter, I've been up and down for 3 months now

Its really starting to get me down now, especially with race season starting god knows how im going to cope. I thought I would be well over it by now.

My name was given to me in primary school because, yep, a life long asthmatic. It nearly got me when I was 10. Saved by a caring GP with a steroid/aminophylline shot. Took up rugby at 12 and never looked back. Absolutely no holds barred whatsoever with asthma. Live with it, kick it in the balls. Do everything and to the max.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

The asthma nurse put me on an new inhaler called serevent, its a green long lasting inhaler. That I need to take in the morning and at night.

Hopefully this could be the answer, Ill try a run tonight and see how it goes. I'm so not sure about Edale on Sunday.
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 12-03-2007 at 04:16 PM.

You MUST do Edale. Just keep running until the blasted wheezing stops. it may take an hour or two, but it will! Sodding bloody stupid lungs, just tell them who is boss!!! It doesn't happen too often thank god, but I will NOT let some dickhead tubes get the better of me!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

You might have gathered that I subscribe to the 'Mind Over matter' school of medicine!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Thanks for that Wheeze, I can see your school of thought on this

not being a wuss or anything, but Im not sure whether fighting it, does more damage to the lungs or not.

Its not that Im letting it get the better of me, its just the first time its been this bad and its been for so long (most of the winter).

I have just read some bad press on google when I search for serevent.

Anyhow, hopefully the wamrmer weather is going to help this.

Cheers for that, are you at Edale
    Jamie
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 12-03-2007 at 04:43 PM.