Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Broxap 24 hour Munros Round

Re: Broxap 24 hour Munros Roun

[quote=compo;133985]Having spent some time recceing in Glen Affric last week I think it's the amount of ascent which is a daunting feature of this round. There are just a lot of big steep climbs - getting back up onto the Five Sisters ridge after the Saddle looks hard work;

- yes its very hard work! I can vouch for that, particularly with crusty snow on it, but at least you won't have that to contend with The river crossing will get your feet nice and wet so don't change socks at the rest stop.

FMA - Yes I am planning to head up and help out if at all possible, hopefully running a leg or 2 and getting some photos of Spyke on his attempt. Will you be going?

Baggins - Trundler and I discussed a possible round of Glen Lyon that comprises a closed-loop of 24 Marilyns - all Corbetts and Munros. Chris Pearson attempted a 24-Marilyn round in this area a while back, but nobody has ever completed it.

Wheezing Donkey - Limiting your hills to 150m-drop Marilyns is all very well, but probably a bit too restrictive in the case of Munros. It's unfortunate that the Munro Tables have been mucked around with since the Broxap and Belton rounds, thereby confusing how many hills they climbed. However the Munros are a set of hills that most people recognise - even if they are a completely arbitrary subset of the Scottish tops over 914.4 metres, with no criterion as to what counts and what doesn't!

The 31-Munro Glen Shiel/Affric route could equally well be described in terms of the total number of tops visited with 30 metres drop for example, in which case would include about 40 or so hills.
    But in the case of trying to better a previous record, I guess you need to stick to similar rules.

yes - hoping to come up ankle permitting. I twisted it in Knoydart at the end of May and then had to walk on it for 3 days with a 50lb pack over tussocks.

which sections are you doing?

I'll bring the video camera if I come.

No idea which sections I'll do yet.
    Perhaps South Cluanie ridge, or pick it up after the Glen Shiel road crossing for north Glen Shiel.

Accessing the remote Glen Affric hills will be more awkward.
    Can you cycle to the Youth Hostel in Affric?

Fairly straightforward to get in to the hostel by bike from all directions Chris, especially at the moment with the very dry conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    For my own peak bagging purposes, I have now turned my back on the Munro Tables and look to Alan Dawson's "Relative Hills of Britain" - the "Marilyns" - summits with 150m of clear ascent all round. In Scotland, I now bag "Marilyns" whose summits are 3000 plus feet above sea-level.
    Yes, from now on I'm only going up Marilyn Munros!
    But, all joking aside, a record attempt that only covered hills of Marilyn Munro status would possess a truly definitive criteria that could not be tampered with, and could stand apart from the current Munro record.
    Definitive? Can't be tampered with? Here's a current example discussing the potential pitfalls in fixing a summit height - in this case a lowly English summit. Make sure you do the SubMarilyns, Wheezing Donkey
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rhb/message/14108

I plotted the 31 Munro route as accurately as I could in Memory Map last night and got just under 75 miles and just over 37,000ft. Or about 120km with 11,300 metres climb.

could you send me the spreadsheet Chris?

I measured the 29 munro route for a previous winter attempt - I think it gave about 67 miles, 34000 feet, but as I say, I think there will be a discrepancy between counting up contours and measuring on the map as opposed to computer package. I use anquet but for ascent its definitely more accurate to count contours (if tedious).

Unsure whether Anquet / MM are more or less accurate than counting contours. In their favour, they will pick up various bumps which are below the resolution of the contour interval (normally 10m except in the case of some 25k mapping - counting contours will always underestimate). Counting against them, they will be subject to any errors or "pits" in the underlying digital terrain model. And there is a tendency to go under at saddles and at summits (these last two will tend to cancel each other out). It may be that the true figure is somewhere between contours and computer package; maybe 5% less than computer package.

However measured, the stats are mind boggling. Shorter than the Lakes BG record but with more climb?

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    However measured, the stats are mind boggling. Shorter than the Lakes BG record but with more climb?
    ... and the route is also far more remote ... but no worse than the Ramsay Round I guess.

There are only 2 road crossings for the Broxap-type round: Cluanie Inn and Glen Shiel, so not that easy for supporting runners to join in and drop out.