Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Help Wanted: Glass Ankles

Re: Help Wanted: Glass Ankles

Some people can be quite narrow minded and seem to have tunnel vision on what they see is best.
    The human body generally functions the same in everyone. Anatomy and physiology is explained in the textbooks like we are identical human beings. But we are not all the same.
    We are all individuals and each persons body does not always react in the same way to the environment, medicine, or exercise. We cannot all expect perfect results from the textbook. We are all different. So what works for one person does not always suit another. That is why we should be open minded. We have to try things for ourselves to find out whether they benefit or not.
    Getting to the subject of squats. Yes, a squat is a very good leg strengthening exercise. Taking the squat further than a ninety degree bend at the knee is debated as controversial/contra-indicated exercise. In a lot of exercise techniques we are continually informed that we should not take the knees any further than the toes i.e we should be able to see our toes beyond the knees, keeping in line with the toes.
    This is to prevent taking the joint further than it's normal range of motion thus aiming to prevent injury.
    Professional dancers, gymnasts, weightlifters, etc, they all perform lots of contra-indicated movements, they push themselves beyond the limits to get where they are and often perform very unsafe/dangerous movements.
    You can take advice from anyone but you shouldn't follow it if you think it is harmful or dangerous to you. It is good to try different things though, it's the only way of finding out what is best for you as an individual.
    Last edited by Mountain Goatess; 27-06-2008 at 12:29 AM.
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

I agree about being wary of advice from forum members (l'm never ever going to listen to that twat stolly again, reassuring me that a 12 mile run 3 days after twisting my knee won't make it worse ) but if everyone casts their eye back to the very first post on this thread it was southernsoftie asking forum members advice for his glass ankles. Obviously given that he asked, you have to expect various bits and bobs of advice to be given .

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    if everyone casts their eye back to the very first post on this thread it was southernsoftie asking forum members advice for his glass ankles. Obviously given that he asked, you have to expect various bits and bobs of advice to be given .
    Good point Stolly. I've just got back to my work and PC following an operation (not the result of following anyone's advice on this forum, I might add).

On the one hand, I'm really impressed that the thread I've started has got this far. Normally my involvement in a thread is the death knell, and all you can hear is the sound of tumbleweed rolling along. On the other, I was getting quite worried catching up with the previous replies that people were getting very worked up and obviously unhappy about the way they were replied to.

Looking back at all the advice given, I think there is plenty for people to try if they have a similar problem to me, and they should take note or disregard as they see fit and in-line with what they know works or otherwise for them.

Personally, I have used in the past squats and leg machines with no bother, and can see the logic of strengthening the muscles so would look to build some weight training into my regime (even if it doesn't directly prevent me from turning my ankles, it will surely help propel me up the hills by building strength and endurance). But I also like the idea of the trampoline/wobble board for the proprioception (apologies for the spelling if this is wrong) and so have started to use this too.

I will try these along with the oft repeated advice of just getting out there more! I have to fit my running around a sales job which takes me around the country so I can't always be near a hill! I try to manage my time to enable me to be home on the days when my club (CleM) meet, but other than that it is difficult. Luckily though I've managed to finagle a couple of overnight stays in Derby which I can hopefully use to get a couple of runs in in the Peaks (another thread for advice as to which runs to go on/request for a running partner appearing at a forum near you soon, once I have dates confirmed)

So, given that there appears to be no new advice appearing on here (unless anyone works in the F&CO) I'll just say thanks for everyone's input, apologies if anyone has been upset by some of the discussion I've prompted, and hopefully some of you might be able to take away something of use.

Word to yo' mutha
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    On the one hand, I'm really impressed that the thread I've started has got this far. Normally my involvement in a thread is the death knell, and all you can hear is the sound of tumbleweed rolling along.
    No it's definitely me that kills threads dead in their tracks. In fact if it wasn't for the connotations with Fred West, I'd seriously consider changing my forum name to FredKiller!

Proprioception spelt correctly.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Proprioception spelt correctly.
    Gold star to me!!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Don't encourage him.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...