Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Wanted: Glass Ankles

Re: Help Wanted: Glass Ankles

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Would like a bit of help from you experienced types if you wouldn't mind.

Apart from getting into the fells and getting used to it, is there any specific exercises/training I can be doing to toughen/strengthen my weedy road-runnning ankles and knees for the rigours of fell running?

I'm looking to start some hill-sprinting on some rough and tufty terrain near me - mainly for strength and speed, and maybe using a wobble board with some weight training exercises.

Does this sound about right, or is there anything else I could be doing? Any converts from road-running who've had the same problem?
    Hi Southern Softie,
    The only advice from me is...
    The best way to train for the hills is to get into the hills. Say no more.
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Master

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Yeah, been told this before - I'm getting some Running Bears at the weekend. I'll see how I go in them.

Quite a relief actually! Did flirt with fell running a couple of years back, but due to working hours/travelling time, I could only run round the streets of Manchester on a lunchbreak, and couldn't make it to any club meetings. New job now though. Bring it on!

You are an absolute mine of information! Thanks a lot. Will get stuck in.

I was thinking of training for a trip to the continent
    Southernsoftie
    don't let others put you off what really needs to be done.It's the range of movement in the full squat that is absolutely essential for the proper health of knees.People who don't do squats are the ones who need knee replacements, along with those who run too many miles in hard shoes.

If you do them in the way I suggested, you'll find a considerable improvement in your fitness(power) that will help your running.Ask Seb Coe.

One other point.Proprioception won't help you when stepping into a rut at 12mph, if your ankles are weak and inflexible. Rolling around on a wobble board or springing up and down on a trampoline won't help either, because the range of movement and resistance are low.

To get them to thicken up you have to apply considerable force to them, in various positions. The force should be high enough to give excellent results, but not so high as to cause strain.

Remember that once in the correct position you shouldn't attempt to move the weight(increases the jerk factor) only hold it statically.

Even with all this, you can still sprain your ankles on the fells fairly easily. At least though, you'll be in a position to withstand a lot that comes at you.
    Last edited by CL; 06-06-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typed at instead of a

Bollocks - squatting as suggested is dangerous full stop. Even Olympic weightlifters rarely use it for this purpose as a result.

To suggest such, particulary without any reference to ensuring good and correct technique and what that is is irresponsible

Master

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    Bollocks - squatting as suggested is dangerous full stop. Even Olympic weightlifters rarely use it for this purpose as a result.

To suggest such, particulary without any reference to ensuring good and correct technique and what that is is irresponsible
    Saz you obviously don't know the sport of Olympic weightlifting. Both the snatch and clean and jerk involve the FULL squat.

Anyone in any doubt about the truth can go onto You-Tube and watch weightlifting competitions.

One other point. Olympic lifters are some of the most flexible athletes in the world, precisely because of the ranges of movement and forces their muscles and joints are subjected to.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Saz you obviously don't know the sport of Olympic weightlifting. Both the snatch and clean and jerk involve the FULL squat.

Anyone in any doubt about the truth can go onto You-Tube and watch weightlifting competitions.

One other point. Olympic lifters are some of the most flexible athletes in the world, precisely because of the ranges of movement and forces their muscles and joints are subjected to.
    It's fell running he wants to improve on...shouldn't he be spending his time fell running not squatting?!
    I do feel that it is beneficial to cross train, weight train, generally exercise all body parts. But there's nothing better than getting out into the hills if that's where you want to improve. No specific exercise or machine can better that!
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

CL - I work directly with the British Olympic weightlifting squad and am one of their directors, I frequently watch them and some of the best lifters in the world train and compete

I am fully aware of what they can and can not do both in competition and training

To suggest that the full squat is of benefit to runners is laughable if it was not so dangerous

Master

I am fully aware of what they can and can not do both in competition and training
    [/QUOTE]

Obviously not! Lets see what the current european champion Dabaya, does in training. Go to You-Tube and type in 'Dabaya front squat 200kg'.

No it isn't dangerous because I do them, and I've never injured myself doing them.

CL,

To be good and squats, and therefore fell running do I also need to be good at backflips too?

http://blog.dojoathletics.com/2007/0...baya-backflip/

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goatess View Post
    It's fell running he wants to improve on...shouldn't he be spending his time fell running not squatting?!
    I do feel that it is beneficial to cross train, weight train, generally exercise all body parts. But there's nothing better than getting out into the hills if that's where you want to improve. No specific exercise or machine can better that!
    Yes he should Goatess, but he did ask for exercises to help his development and that is what I've done.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    CL,

To be good and squats, and therefore fell running do I also need to be good at backflips too?

http://blog.dojoathletics.com/2007/0...baya-backflip/
    Hey Dom did you like that. That's his trademark, but only when he wins!