Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Wanted: Glass Ankles

Master

Re: Help Wanted: Glass Ankles

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    CL,

To be good and squats, and therefore fell running do I also need to be good at backflips too?

http://blog.dojoathletics.com/2007/0...baya-backflip/
    Just watched both again.Unbelievable He makes those 440pound front squats look so easy.

are you suggesting I am lying?

At the end of the day, we are not talking about olympic weightlifters...we are talking about someone who wants to improve his ankle stability for running on uneven terrain.
    CL - I can see that you are trying to suggest a suitable exercise. I myself perform squats on a squat machine as part of my gym routine. This is a leg strengthening exercise.
    Saz - I also see your point... a non weightlifter performing a full squat without adequate knowledge of correct technique perhaps isn't the best idea.
    I re-iterate my point... the best place to gain ankle strength/stability for the fells is in the fells.
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Master

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    are you suggesting I am lying?
    Your initial claim was that Olympic lifters rarely use the full squat in training and this is an outright lie.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goatess View Post
    At the end of the day, we are not talking about olympic weightlifters...we are talking about someone who wants to improve his ankle stability for running on uneven terrain.
    CL - I can see that you are trying to suggest a suitable exercise. I myself perform squats on a squat machine as part of my gym routine. This is a leg strengthening exercise.
    Saz - I also see your point... a non weightlifter performing a full squat without adequate knowledge of correct technique perhaps isn't the best idea.
    I re-iterate my point... the best place to gain ankle strength/stability for the fells is in the fells.
    He didn't just want to improve his ankles, he also wanted to improve his knees. Therefore I gave him the best exercise for his knees(full squats), and also the best exercises for his ankles.

Southernsoftie can make his own mind up about who might be right.

CL - I suggest that you check your knowledge of weightlifting training or your definition of rarely

As for the use of full squats by runners or anyone else - not too long ago I chaired a meeting between the leading S&C coaches in the country (including some international weightlifters in their own right) and various top track and field coaches. The unanimous view of this group was that if there was a benefit of the full squat for t&f athletes (and this was questionnable for all, let alone endurance runners) then this was far outweighed by the injury risk even to athletes who are being fully supervised and who have correct technque

There is a big difference between concenious opinion and personal view or actions

I am not sure I know exactly what a "squat" is but if I had to take advice from:

Sarah: ex-international Marathon, Mountain etc athlete, Journal Editor, PhD, England Team Manager, author, highly regarded in all athletic circles, etc

or

CL: self-opinionated, er, self-opinionated,...

Close call?

Quote Originally Posted by end View Post
    I am not sure I know exactly what a "squat" is but if I had to take advice from:

Sarah: ex-international Marathon, Mountain etc athlete, Journal Editor, PhD, England Team Manager, author, highly regarded in all athletic circles, etc

or

CL: self-opinionated, er, self-opinionated,...

Close call?
    You missed out Seb Coe stalker? CL not Saz

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post

Southernsoftie can make his own mind up about who might be right.
    http://www.whartonconsulting.co.uk/about_people.htm

Read Saz's profile then decide who might be right.

I think I will keep out of this one from now on!
    I still say get yerself out into them hills... best place for training for the hills...is them hills!
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Master

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    CL - I suggest that you check your knowledge of weightlifting training or your definition of rarely

As for the use of full squats by runners or anyone else - not too long ago I chaired a meeting between the leading S&C coaches in the country (including some international weightlifters in their own right) and various top track and field coaches. The unanimous view of this group was that if there was a benefit of the full squat for t&f athletes (and this was questionnable for all, let alone endurance runners) then this was far outweighed by the injury risk even to athletes who are being fully supervised and who have correct technque

There is a big difference between concenious opinion and personal view or actions
    Reality doesn't conform to anyones opinions whether the individual or majority, even if they have qualifications.

The facts are against you as we have seen with Dabyer. If full squats were dangerous as you suggest, then front squating with 200kg for 5 reps would be madness.

The reason Dabyer can squat with so much weight is because his muscles are extremely powerful and his joints, tendons and ligaments have incredible tensile strength.All a direct result of full squats.

Now one fact that should make it clear to anyone with a properly functioning brain. If weightlifters weren't allowed to full squat(because it was dangerous), then the amount they could lift would drop dramatically. That in itself demonstrates the loss of power by not dropping into a full squat.