Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: London to Brighton

London to Brighton

Not quite a fell race, but 56 miles nevertheless...

Over the past 5 weeks, I've completed 2 marathons and one ultra event (all offroad). Whilst I accept that it's perhaps a little too much, I treated them as training runs so just aimed to get round.

My problem is I'm completely running out of steam before the end - I've tried using energy gels and after a while I can't stand the thought of them. Tried dried apricots and felt queasy.

What do folk here fuel up with during a long distance effort? I have 4 months in which to get myself sorted, so got a bit of experimentation time.

Ta

Re: London to Brighton

I use rice puddings ,cereal bars, Dried fruit, fruit cake ala Geoff, carb drinks(try hi 5 extreme) I've been experementing with peanut butter and jam wraps. I also like a bit of savory maybe abit if pisa!! Mint and buttered-salted boiled potatoes.

Also look on the Rigby round thread at what Rob took on his big solo effort

Start eating asap (don't wait till you are hungry), probably sweet stuff initially, keep it going in 'little and often'. Rice pud is great but is heavy to carry if it has to go in your sack.

Once you go off the 'sweet stuff' (which you will), you will get all sorts of sugestions - a bit like pregnant womens cravings - I would suggest keep on experimenting and find what suits you. One of the big challenges of endurance is nutrition, it can all go so horribly wrong, as I know .

Marmite sandwiches, malt loaf, peanut butter and jam butties, spicy couscous, ..........etc etc.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Dates.

Marmite and fish paste butties.

I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

As already hinted, savoury food is preferred later on. An oatcake rolled over with a savoury food of your choice is great. The melted cheese oatcakes went down really well at the Yoredale 100. Turkey wraps are also good. Also a cracker or two smeared with Marmite. Those options can be better than bread if the digestion is really rebelling.

Also forgot to mention electrolyte drink (not sweet, sickly, over-flavoured 'isotonic' drinks). You need a cup of that at every checkpoint or every couple of hours at the least. GU2O works well for me (it's an American product). Combined with supping water in between (and not running too fast , your digestion should continue to function.

I'm doing this race as well and will look to eat as much natural food as possible.
    Anything over a marathon, energy gels and bars don't do that much for you apart from make you feel sick! You're better off sticking to slow release and sustained energy.
    Peanut butter, honey and Banana sandwiches are a good mix. They have carbs, protein and salts you need for longer distances.
    Instead of energy gels, try friut bars (not the one's mixed with oats or any other crap, just 100% fruit. You can usually get these from Holland & Barrett and such shops).
    Trek bars and Nak'd bars are also good. All natural ingredients and give sustained energy.
    As for drinks, I use nuun (electrolyte tablets). Pop one in a bottle with your favourite squash and off you go!
    Oh, and for emergencies, always carry a Mars bar! I can't stand the things usually, but there always comes a time when for whatever reason, you have no energy and you have completly bonked, a Mars bar can save you from death!

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post

My problem is I'm completely running out of steam before the end - I've tried using energy gels and after a while I can't stand the thought of them.

Ta
    Which Gels, I like the SIS, Go gels, but agree eat something else. I use a mixture of flapjacks, rice pud, gels, flat coke-a-cola, Leak & Potato soup, Sandwiches etc.

Basically try to have a wide a range a choice as possible as I find what I want varies. I still have things like Boost Bars (with glucose), Mars bars, Jelly Babies as pic me ups.

I find gels are Ok for 4-6 hrs or so, but much longer and you need something else.

High5 4:1 which is a carb/protein energy drink

Agree re savoury and you can't go wrong with those bite size pork pies, loads and loads of calories for not much chewing which is exactly what you need

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
    High5 4:1 which is a carb/protein energy drink

Agree re savoury and you can't go wrong with those bite size pork pies, loads and loads of calories for not much chewing which is exactly what you need
    I'm also a big fan of pork pies - they've got me out of trouble a few times on long events. Agree with comment about Mars bar too!