Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Bug Bite Cream?

Master

Re: Which Bug Bite Cream?

Quote Originally Posted by janeho View Post
    Avon skin so soft - its a range of skin products that Avon market. They are supposed to be just nice smelly products, but a, now well recognized, side effect is that they also ward off the little biting beasties. Avon now even acknowledge this in their marketing. You can get in as a body spray, or a bath oil which you just rub on.
    Its a lot cheaper than the DEET based stuff, and without the concern about what you are doing to yourself putting a lot of DEEt on.
    The problem always used to be finding someone who did the Avon catalogue - but they sell on line now
    http://avonshop.co.uk/shop/product_l...994&cat_type=B
    Thanks Jane!

Master

Someone I know advocates garlic capsules.Apparently it passes through the skin and the flies don't like it.

Whilst I was on holiday with this person last year, I was bitten a lot and he was fine.

I felt very ill for days so would be willing to try something that didn't involve spraying insecticide all over.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Someone I know advocates garlic capsules.Apparently it passes through the skin and the flies don't like it.

Whilst I was on holiday with this person last year, I was bitten a lot and he was fine.

I felt very ill for days so would be willing to try something that didn't involve spraying insecticide all over.
    when I was student in the darkest depths of time I did the PW and got talking to this old timer (probably only in his 40's) he use to have a table spoon a vinegar every morning as he said the acid comes out in your sweat. He didn't seem to be as bothered by the midges as we were.

Quote Originally Posted by janeho View Post
    Avon skin so soft - its a range of skin products that Avon market. They are supposed to be just nice smelly products, but a, now well recognized, side effect is that they also ward off the little biting beasties. Avon now even acknowledge this in their marketing. You can get in as a body spray, or a bath oil which you just rub on.
    Its a lot cheaper than the DEET based stuff, and without the concern about what you are doing to yourself putting a lot of DEEt on.
    The problem always used to be finding someone who did the Avon catalogue - but they sell on line now
    http://avonshop.co.uk/shop/product_l...994&cat_type=B
    I remember looking at the avon catalogue that a girl from work brought in but wasn't sure what worked and what didn't.

Does the moisturiser work as a midge repellant as well as the spray and oil?

Sounds gross, but an old time who spent most the 50s and 60s out in the oilfields in Kuwait swore by.....tobacco.

Aside from smoking to keep the mozzies away, he would have several glasses of water into which he'd put half a cigarette. He'd wait several days before drinking the water and, apparently, the nicotine would be secreted in the sweat and so repel the bugs.

He told me had a row of glasses which all had a cigarette in them, with the oldest one at one end and the weakest (newest) at the other. He just kept "topping up" a glass a day.

Your right,it does sound gross

just followed Janeho's link...be careful what you buy else you may stop the midges biting but you'll look like a nancy boy with silky smooth legs as well!!

going to give it a try as I'm sure I walk around with 'bite me' written on me in insect language...not only that but when they do I sometimes come up with a red boil type lump that itches like mad and takes ages to go!!

bought the shower gel and body moisturiser...will let you know if it works...hope I don't smell like a girls blouse in the meantime

I think Avon should gi' me a bit o' commision for advertisin their wares