Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidays

Super Moderator

Holidays

I'm hoping to have a few days break in next couple or three weeks and am looking for ideas for where to go. As I'm travelling more and more for work I want somewhere in northern England or perhaps Scottish Borders or North Wales. Plan is to stay in Youth Hostels and do some gentle walking (perhaps 6-8miles per day) as my knees are still shot and don't think I could manage Lakes or Snowdonia.

Places I've thought of include Swaledale or the NE coast. Somewhere with good pubs and some wildlife interest would be good. Any other suggestions please?

Re: Holidays

I'm biased cos it's the area I know best, but how about the north-western bit of the Peak District: Lyme Park, Kettleshulme, Goyt Valley, Bollington, Macclesfield Forest, Shutlingsloe, The Roaches. It's more rolling hills than big stuff (Shining Tor at 559m is biggest), but absolutely gorgeous at this time of year, great for running in, and some staggering views out over the Cheshire plain

e.g.

http://www.happy-valley.org.uk/kerridge%20pan.htm

I'm biased too - have you thought about the IOM? We're off here for a couple o' weeks on August seeing as the kids loved it the other year. Good beaches, fells & glens to explore and a feel to it a bit like the UK some 20 years ago.

Super Moderator

Thanks DTS and jodj. IOM sounds good as I've never been and it looked fantastic acting as Lake District in the recent Beatrix Potter film

Any other ideas guys?

Could do North York Moors & Coast - hostels at Osmotherley, Whitby, Boggle Hole etc - I'll be in the area myself back end of next week meeting up with a friend who's finishing C2C walk - although he's B&B'ing I'll be most likely camping - especially as I've left it to late to find hostel beds at the aforementioned.

Alternatively Northumberland coast is good - Bamburgh, Lindisfarne, boat trip to Farne Islands etc.. plus inland to Simnonside Hills/Cheviots.

Or the Wolds - where the Woldsman went is lovely. Soft & grassy - easy on the knees. And not too far away.

Master

Newton Stewart a good base for the Galloway hills, Glen Trool, Cree bird and nature reserve, loads of history & Archaeology, in fact it`s got the lot
    The older I get the Faster I was

Everywhere that has been suggested sound good, but I'll add my vote to the Isle of Man.
    We went for the first time at the beginning of May, did some great running both on the hills, and the coastal path.
    http://www.physiobench.com
    online physio treatment and advice

Quote Originally Posted by janeho View Post
    Everywhere that has been suggested sound good, but I'll add my vote to the Isle of Man.
    We went for the first time at the beginning of May, did some great running both on the hills, and the coastal path.
    Good place, isn't it? We were there for the 1st time last year. Had a super few runs inc one up the Barrule ridge to Snaefell. Mind you, this year the missus has booked and managed to find the only 2 weeks without a single fell race....

Why not go on a canoeing holiday somewhere, no hassle on the knee's.

I have been looking into it, only place I have found at the minute is Sweden. Im sure they have them in the UK though.