Thread: Thin socks

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Thin socks

Have recently got a pair of inserts for my shoes from a pod, they are great though it means I am not able to moan about my injuries as much. However as they cover my sole as well as heel I have less room in my shoe, meaning my chunky fell socks make the shoe a bit tight.

I have been using standard cheapo (500 pairs for £1.00 at JJB's) socks but they wear quickly and are not that comfortable causing me to blister. I also have had 2 pairs of 1000 mile socks, fine on the road but my old pair lasted 1 fell race and a new pair I bought a fortnight ago lasted 2.

Anyone any ideas for a good quality thinner sock?

Super Moderator

Re: Thin socks

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    Have recently got a pair of inserts for my shoes from a pod, they are great though it means I am not able to moan about my injuries as much. However as they cover my sole as well as heel I have less room in my shoe, meaning my chunky fell socks make the shoe a bit tight.

I have been using standard cheapo (500 pairs for £1.00 at JJB's) socks but they wear quickly and are not that comfortable causing me to blister. I also have had 2 pairs of 1000 mile socks, fine on the road but my old pair lasted 1 fell race and a new pair I bought a fortnight ago lasted 2.

Anyone any ideas for a good quality thinner sock?
    Have a look at http://www.newline.dk/media/selectlanguage.htm

When I was going down to Sussex regularly Newline used to have a stall at races. Don't know if they do mail order but their kit is good and I know they do 'thin' socks

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Nike do some ludicrously thin socks which I have used in loads of fell races and mountain marathons:

Nike Authentic Socks

However I have now started using Falke Ru5 socks, which are still thin but with a small amount of padding on heel and ball of foot. However this might be just because I like the left and right foot thing.

Neither of these is particularly cheap though!

1000 miles also do some really thin socks tha are designed for triathlons. Not sure if they are more or less strong that their normal socks but they are ultra thin.

Hilly Lite socks are quite strong and last a while and also quite thin.

Maybe you just need to trim your toenails once in a while?

Decathlon do some decent thin socks for about £2-50 a pair. Not sure how far north Decathlon have stores though.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Thanks for all the above. Decathlon have a store in Stockport and one in Sheffield, (though I suppose that is the upper midlands). I have a pair of standard running socks from them which are ok. I will look at the other ideas , I may have misled in that i am not looking for super thin socks, just good quality slimmer alternatives to fell socks.

I've found that toetoe 'liner' or 'light runner' socks are fairly thin and hardwearing. I've used them quite a bit and there's been no loss of padding yet, regardless of abuse and washing. They keep my feet and toes blister free as well.

I've used Monoskins in the past, which are considerably thinner than PB / Running Bear socks.