Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wisdom Teeth :(

Wisdom Teeth :(

I found out yesterday that I have to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed!! Originally it was just going to be the bottom two, so i'm pretty gutted. The surgeon calmy announced that this would require "cutting into and removing a fair amount of bone"....it just gets worse!

Has anyone else experienced this torture, and if so how long till you stopped resembling a gerbil and were able to get abck running as i'm assuming that high impact is probably not a good idea initially?!
    No pain no gain...if still no gain try more painkillers!

Re: Wisdom Teeth :(

Tough luck Ian!

I had to have my bottom two out about 10 years ago on account of them impacting the rest of the teeth. Unfortunately it was a really painful experience and took at least 3 weeks before I could eat properly. I did have to take an awful lot of painkillers for the first 2 weeks and had nice big swollen cheeks (a la hamster) that made people stare....

Seems like I came off worst though. I've since spoken to a couple of people who had a tooth or two out and their experiences were nowhere near as bad as mine.

Mind you, all of them out in one go sounds severe....

Will you have any wisdom left?

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

I had one out a few years ago, it was fine, though the anaethestic knocked me out completely and they made me stay overnight cos I would not wake up properly.

Don't fancy having 4 out

Red face Re: Wisdom Teeth :(

Just wanted to provide the other side of the story: I had two taken out a few years ago at a day's notice. I had them out under local anaesthetic at 11am and was at a barbeque that evening - didn't do too well on eating burgers (though I did try), but jelly went down a treat. No real pain afterwards, and was back running a couple of days later.

It's nice to hear you had a positive experience maltloaf, although I don't think i'll be attending any BBQ's on the day of their removal! Initially I was going to be having two taken out under local anaesthetic, but now that it's four it means being put under general, and last time I had that for a knee op just like you antisocial I was as sick (quite literally) as the proverbial dog!

In terms of having any wisdom left jodg, I guess that all depends on how much I have to begin with, which probably isn't much if i'm going to electively let someone remove bits of my jaw to remove four teeth!!

Cheers for the help, i'll let you know how it goes!
    No pain no gain...if still no gain try more painkillers!

All the best for the op Ian. I had to have a general when I had mine taken out. The best sleep I'd had in years! On the downside though, I must have had some vivid dreams 'cos when I came round, the first thing I said to my wife was "We are the world, we are the children...."

May you have pleasant non-Michael Jackson dreams!

What happened before anaesthetic?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Just seen this thread, I'm having one taken out tomorrow - I was fairly ok about it, but now I'm not so sure. It's been aching a while, but started giving me real grief last week, it's not so bad now.

I'm not sure if I did right letting them take it out tomorrow; on hols for next week, hope it doesn't hurt too much!

Are you having it done at SGH Ian?

Wisdom, I would have thought you would have needed a few put in!

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    I had one out a few years ago, it was fine, though the anaethestic knocked me out completely and they made me stay overnight cos I would not wake up properly.

I had all mine out years ago. Dentist said they were impacted, and as I played rugby league in those days, he said a whack on the jaw would do some awful damage. Spent overnight in hospital and felt like sh*t for a few days.

Still get a whack on the jaw now occasionally, crowded starts at fell races

I'm busy sharpening my elbows for Borrowdale !!