Thread: Walkin the Fairfield horseshoe

Walkin the Fairfield horseshoe

Right well, in the summer im planning on catching the bus from preston (where i live) to Ambleside and then taking my dog for a walk on the horseshoe. - Im catching the bus because i cant drive.

Does anyone know how long walking the horseshoe should take as i need to know because it will depend on whether i could get round in time for my bus home. Theres only one bus and if i miss that im stranded.

Re: Walkin the Fairfield horse

Its not terribly far TBH (9 miles if memory serves?). I think 2.5 -4 hrs. Big difference I know but the two extremes would be - a slow walk enjoying the views and a sarnie or, a very speedy walk without stops or route deviations.

Graeme

Depending on how fast you walk I would have thought 4-6 hours is a reasonable time to expect to walk the horseshoe, and make the most of your day. Most guidebooks suggest around 11 miles for the walk, and as suggested you can get as much or as little out of your walk.

Smile Re: Walkin the Fairfield horse

Quote Originally Posted by bestathlete View Post
    I think 2.5 -4 hrs.
    2.5 hours.....?

If you get helicoptered in to High Pike and set up a rope slide from Nab Scar to the bus stop maybe!

Well im a speedy walker and i like to get from a to b as quickly as possilbe. But as im taking my lab with me, he's never walked that far before and he's usually knackered after a few hours walking but he should manage it.
    In Easter i walked from catbells to High Spy via Maiden Moor (and back) in quite a short time and we didnt stop once and he managed it ok.
    But as the bus journey is about 3 hours he will have plenty of time to sleep it off.

2.5 hours....im not running it ha.

I took 1:51 to do it in the Fairfield Horseshoe fell race; about 63 minutes to get to the top of Fairfield. I'd guess 2 hours walking up, 20 minutes to have a sandwich and fanny about somewhere and 90 minutes coming back down.

Fowler,

Im from darwen I usually spend quite a bit of my summer in the lakes, but am currently crocked(but on the mend). I may be up for a wander over summer and will be able to give you a lift.

Gimme a few weeks and ill be in touch.

Cheers
    Jamie

Yeah thats sounds good! cheers.