Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barley Fell Race

Re: Barley Fell Race

Bant - check this thread - http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=4435

It may also help if you check out the map that was handily placed at the registration area, where I ascertained that I negotiated the double stile and made for the res, then turned left down the road.

Like Wycoller says = welcome to the Fells!

"So when you find yourself at the front of a race...." - so when was this then?

You'll have some fun if you go to a race where you are just given 6 map references and told to get on with it!

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    That's why fell races are described as partially marked! If you are going to be at the front you need to know where you are going. If you get lost then it's your own fault - don't blame the organisers!

End of my rant! (by someone who can get lost on the most innocuous route)
    I agree entirely, but was this actually a fell race? In a 'normal fell race' I would have been more cautious if I didn't know the route. But was this actually a fell race? If you find where it is 'described as partially marked!' I will accept what you are saying. After all it was advertised as a '6 mile road & fell race'

I thought it was safe to be at the sharp end during the race (I had expected it at the start) as there were poles marking the whole route, until they promptly stopped.......
    "I train very hard, until I am sick. Sometimes I train like a foolish man who has no mind." -Hicham el-Guerrouj

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Bant - check this thread - http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=4435

It may also help if you check out the map that was handily placed at the registration area, where I ascertained that I negotiated the double stile and made for the res, then turned left down the road.

You'll have some fun if you go to a race where you are just given 6 map references and told to get on with it!
    Firstly, I looked at the map, and headed for the resevoir, just seems I went a little too far

With regards to what you are describing as a 'race', I'm a runner and do sports with the name running in them, If I wanted to be an orienteerer, I would have taken it up some time ago....
    "I train very hard, until I am sick. Sometimes I train like a foolish man who has no mind." -Hicham el-Guerrouj

BUt that's fell running Bant. Most races we go to ask for Map, Compass, Whistle, Emergency Food, and sometimes full body cover - waterproof in some cases.

Thumbs down Re: Barley Fell Race

[QUOTE=Bant;136082]Thought I'd also add my 2 pennies worth into the debate.
    I thought the organisation was W##k...

Hey you tosser...tha shunt use words like that on this forum. Meks my "tung-in-cheek" comments seem mild by comparison.

Tha's obviously unsuited to fell runnin wi' an attitude like that...chuck thi walshes away (they'll be knackered by now anyway) 'n put on thi fancy road shoes.

Fell runnin can do wi'out the likes o' thee.

wharfego - bant by name bant by nature, young and foolhardy, much too learn ie, doesn't know what hes on about but doesn't mean harm

Quote Originally Posted by tomcee View Post
    ...bant by name bant by nature...
    bant...dictionary meanin...[I]Lancashire dialect[/I[B]]...string

don't know wot 'e looks like but if 'is names owt to go by then 'e must look like a piece of string...a bit like Stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Eddie the Eagle was special

Come to think of it there is a resemblance.

http://jameshazlehurst.com/myPictures/think!.JPG

Ooops - wrong link!

http://www.britfilms.tv/images/news/...he%20eagle.jpg

What do you reckon Too Easy? Remove the glasses and it's a spit!

Wharfeego - check out the earlier thread if you want to know what he looks like!