Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barley Fell Race

Re: Barley Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    What a great race - part road / part trail / track - and a super night up on Pendle.

I thoroughly enjoyed it - cracking descent.
    Crackin descent? tha's obviously never done a proper fell race then

Why do Pendle Grand Prix always make a potentially good fell race into a near-as-dammit road race?

Just watch all t'road runners shoot me down...yes I know why PGP bung as much tarmac in as poss...coz none of 'em are proper fell runners!

U just ave to take the rough with the smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post

Why do Pendle Grand Prix always make a potentially good fell race into a near-as-dammit road race?

Just watch all t'road runners shoot me down...yes I know why PGP bung as much tarmac in as poss...coz none of 'em are proper fell runners!
    Wharfeego, you seem to forget that many classic fell and hill races have a road section:
    Ben Nevis Hill Race
    Jura Fell Race
    3 Peaks

Need I go on !!!!
    After climbing a great hill one only finds that there are many more hills to climb ......

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post

Can I not enjoy the descent then? It is advertised as The Barley 6 mile Road & Fell Race and it doesn't appear in the Fell Calendar and doesn't seem to have a Fell classification.

So I would look at it as a Road Race with a Fell Twist to allow slowcoaches from the Fells to look good against the speedier roadsters.
    (and I count myself as a slowcoach)

W.P, I picked up your 5th place trophy on fri, it was a beautiful glass thing!! However within a matter of minutes they had taken it off my hands, as they realised you weren't actually 5th Male but 5th Vet 55 Male

Hard Luck!
    "I train very hard, until I am sick. Sometimes I train like a foolish man who has no mind." -Hicham el-Guerrouj

Thought I'd also add my 2 pennies worth into the debate.

I thought the organisation was WANK! They had 2 marshall's on a double style where it was obv you just went straight on as there was no where else to go. But then when the course markings end for no apparent reason (probs spent the race budget on those stupid yellow jackets and wonderful walkie-talkies, so when they ran out of poles to mark the course, they just thought ahhh screw it), they have no sign, marshall or sweet **** all to tell you to turn right.

So when you find yourself at the front of a race in an area you have never run in before, on the side of some hill, which is not your forte, it really pisses you off when the guy in 3rd shouts at you to come back up the 200m hill you have just descended.

Rant Over
    "I train very hard, until I am sick. Sometimes I train like a foolish man who has no mind." -Hicham el-Guerrouj

Talking Re: Barley Fell Race

Unlucky Bant you massive loser if you didn't go the wrong way i reckon you could of easily come 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by TOO EASY!! View Post
    Unlucky Bant you massive loser if you didn't go the wrong way i reckon you could of easily come 3rd
    Shut up you fag!

Quote Originally Posted by Bant View Post
    Thought I'd also add my 2 pennies worth into the debate.

I thought the organisation was WANK! They had 2 marshall's on a double style where it was obv you just went straight on as there was no where else to go. But then when the course markings end for no apparent reason (probs spent the race budget on those stupid yellow jackets and wonderful walkie-talkies, so when they ran out of poles to mark the course, they just thought ahhh screw it), they have no sign, marshall or sweet **** all to tell you to turn right.

So when you find yourself at the front of a race in an area you have never run in before, on the side of some hill, which is not your forte, it really pisses you off when the guy in 3rd shouts at you to come back up the 200m hill you have just descended.

Rant Over
    That's why fell races are described as partially marked! If you are going to be at the front you need to know where you are going. If you get lost then it's your own fault - don't blame the organisers!

End of my rant! (by someone who can get lost on the most innocuous route)

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    That's why fell races are described as partially marked! If you are going to be at the front you need to know where you are going. If you get lost then it's your own fault - don't blame the organisers!

End of my rant! (by someone who can get lost on the most innocuous route)
    Well said i don't know who this Bant guy thinks he is he doesn't realise how hard it is to organise these races and its not the marshalls fault that he is a complete spaz.